goofy girl designs
Sometimes fear can be fun, at least in fiction. In my current work in progress, the general population is afraid of the dark. They suffer from "nyctophobia," but I’d argue they have plenty of reasons to jump at shadows.
While researching nyctophobia, I stumbled upon “The Phobia List” and found even more intriguing fears.
Here are 13 that caught my eye.
- Xanthophobia -- Fear of the color yellow or the word "yellow." I love yellow so this is definitely a phobia I don’t have.
- Verbophobia -- Fear of words. I wonder how this would manifest itself? Would you find it difficult to write? Or read? Or would talking be beyond you? What about listening?
- Textophobia -- Fear of certain fabrics. Which fabrics? Demin? Silk? How would this start? It's puzzling.
- Testophobia -- Fear of taking tests. I bet this is the most common of all the phobias I’ve listed. For my niece and nephew, it's probably a biggie. It was for me, too, back in the olden days.
- Pluviophobia -- Fear of rain or of being rained on. Could this be the inspiration for the sing-song, “Rain, rain, go away. Come again another day.”?
- Soceraphobia -- Fear of parents-in-law. Hmmm. I wonder how many married people experience this?
- Pteronophobia -- Fear of being tickled by feathers. This one makes me grin just thinking about it.
- Photoaugliaphobia -- Fear of glaring lights. Like headlights. Or those intense lights used in interrogation rooms?
- Linonophobia -- Fear of string. Makes me wonder -- big balls of string or all types?
- Katagelophobia -- Fear of ridicule. This one I can understand. I think the child in each of us never outgrows the fear of being embarrassed.
- Iatrophobia -- Fear of doctors or going to the doctor. I bet this anxiety affects lots of people.
- Homichlophobia -- Fear of fog. I wonder if this is more the anxiety of the unknown.
- Genuphobia -- Fear of knees. Ha! Can this one be real? And, if it is, it really has to be rare.
Did I tickle your interest? If you’d like to peruse a more complete list of phobias, here’s the link to where I found these 13 fears. http://phobialist.com/
Thanks for stopping by.