Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Sometimes Fear Can Be Fun



goofy girl designs


Sometimes fear can be fun, at least in fiction. In my current work in progress, the general population is afraid of the dark. They suffer from "nyctophobia," but I’d argue they have plenty of reasons to jump at shadows.
While researching nyctophobia, I stumbled upon “The Phobia List” and found even more intriguing fears.

Here are 13 that caught my eye.






  1. Xanthophobia -- Fear of the color yellow or the word "yellow." I love yellow so this is definitely a phobia I don’t have.


  2. Verbophobia -- Fear of words. I wonder how this would manifest itself? Would you find it difficult to write? Or read? Or would talking be beyond you? What about listening?


  3. Textophobia -- Fear of certain fabrics. Which fabrics? Demin? Silk? How would this start? It's puzzling.


  4. Testophobia -- Fear of taking tests. I bet this is the most common of all the phobias I’ve listed. For my niece and nephew, it's probably a biggie. It was for me, too, back in the olden days.


  5. Pluviophobia -- Fear of rain or of being rained on. Could this be the inspiration for the sing-song, “Rain, rain, go away. Come again another day.”?


  6. Soceraphobia -- Fear of parents-in-law. Hmmm. I wonder how many married people experience this?



  7. Pteronophobia -- Fear of being tickled by feathers. This one makes me grin just thinking about it.


  8. Photoaugliaphobia -- Fear of glaring lights. Like headlights. Or those intense lights used in interrogation rooms?


  9. Linonophobia -- Fear of string. Makes me wonder -- big balls of string or all types?


  10. Katagelophobia -- Fear of ridicule. This one I can understand. I think the child in each of us never outgrows the fear of being embarrassed.




  11. Iatrophobia -- Fear of doctors or going to the doctor. I bet this anxiety affects lots of people.


  12. Homichlophobia -- Fear of fog. I wonder if this is more the anxiety of the unknown.


  13. Genuphobia -- Fear of knees. Ha! Can this one be real? And, if it is, it really has to be rare.


Did I tickle your interest? If you’d like to peruse a more complete list of phobias, here’s the link to where I found these 13 fears. http://phobialist.com/
Thanks for stopping by.

28 comments:

  1. Gosh, I had no idea. That is a lot of things to be afraid of. Your book sounds intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. CountryDew,
    I was surprised to see how many phobias there were too and thanks for your encouragement. I'm kinda fond of my book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great, now I've discovered more phobias that I have :)

    Have a great Thursday!
    http://harrietandfriends.com/2010/05/dear-kids-dont-forget-about-mothers-day-this-sunday/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems there is a pathology for every fear. I wonder if all the colors have phobias. Weird.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I Am Harriet,
    Sorry Harriet. I surely don't want to add to anyone's troubles. I wonder if there's a blogging phobia. At least we don't have that one. Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list. I still have a fear of being ridiculed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. colleen,
    Yes, I think all the colors have phobias, but I like yellow so that's why I picked that one. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Journeywoman,
    I'm with you. I don't think anyone likes ridicule. I'm glad you enjoyed the post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So many phobias. I wonder if there's a fear of phobias, too.
    I've definitely got 6.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This just proves it's possible to be afraid of just about anything.

    ReplyDelete
  11. your post make me thinks, hmm....what is my phobia?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fear of string.

    Hmmm... I might have to research this a bit more to find out how it manifests. Truly bizarre!

    Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fear of yellow, words, and knees are beyond my imagination! I'd love to meet someone who had these phobias, I really wonder how they'd function in everyday life.

    ReplyDelete
  14. anthonynorth,
    I bet there is a fear of phobias. Thanks for leaving a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Alice Audrey,
    Yep, I guess people can develop a fear about anything. Once on a trip, I met someone who had a fear of crossing thresholds and no, she wasn’t a vampire.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Willa,
    I bet you're phobia-free. Grin.



    Kimberly Menozzi,
    I like to do research too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Betty,
    I bet daily life is tough for anyone who has phobias, but in fiction, they'd probably be quite interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOL... so funny. I once tried to find out the name of a fear of grates (you know... those gaping holes in the sidewalk or street that are barely covered by little strips of metal -- as if THAT would hold you if you stepped on it).

    Never did find a name for it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mysti Holiday,
    Yes, those grates are scary, especially if they shift a bit as you step on them. If you ever do find out what that phobia is called, please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm not a big fan of taking tests. Not written ask and answer tests, but the kind of tests where someone sits over your shoulder and watches everything you do, (evaluations.) Those are so not fun! I also don't like it when people watch me that closely, so I get really nervous when I'm expected to do well with something like that. I wrote a list of 13 reasons why I blog, it's here: http://lifes-adventures.net
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Is there a fear of mispronouncing phobias? There is no way I could remember those words on my own. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Noelle,
    I agree tests can be stressful--not fun, not like blogging. I'll come visit and read why you blog.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Kristen,
    I don't know if there is, but if so, I share that one with you. Grin.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fear of being tickled with a feather really made me giggle! Fear of string? Makes ya wonder, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Forgetfulone,
    Grin. I chuckled at those too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is hilarious. Fear of knees. Fear of string. Fear of yellow! LOL! Really enjoyed your T13 today.

    I myself have an odd phobia but I know I'm not the only one - fear of calling out on the phone. I avoid it when at all possible, and if I must make a call, I experience anxiety. Answering a phone call does not present this level of stress. My phobia extends to talking to the microphone box at a drive-through - and so, I don't go through drive-throughs.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Julia Smith,
    You're not alone. My friend's mother has the same aversion to making phone calls. She had her kids make calls for her and well, now we have face book, twitter, texting and email--lots of other ways to communicate. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

 
ja