Friday, March 26, 2010

To V or not to V?

So...what's with the new series, V? Like it? Hate it? Couldn't care less?

I'm not hugely obsessed but I'm looking forward to seeing what they've done with the show. The few episodes that were broadcast initially set the stage but didn't really give us enough to make a commitment.
Here are some of the things I like about the show:
  • That it's sci fi. Anything sc fi I'll give it a shot.
  • That there are traitors within the alien community; it's a nice complication and helps even out the power/technology difference between them and us.
  • That the Visitors are able to use our own nature against us. At least so far, there has been no huge, special effects all-out war with lots of stuff blowing up. Conquest is slow and calculated.
  • That the head Visitor is a woman.

Things I'm not so crazy about:
  • That the Visitors have to have something evil up their sleeves. It would be more interesting if the evil they committed was unintentional.
  • That there are already folks on the ground ready to fight them. A bit too quick, if you ask me.
  • That the true visitor inside the human skin is a reptile. Come on, guys. why are they always reptiles?
  • That the Visitors are so clever. A little too clever, at this point
  • That plot points are a little too predictable and the writing too slick. Hold some back! Give us a little mystery!
But I'm willing to overlook the second set of points and keep watching. Think America will agree with me? Or is this show destined to go the same route as Invasion and Jericho, both great shows I enjoyed that were canceled too soon?


6 comments:

  1. I watch the previews every week and think, hey, I might like that - and the for whatever reason, I never seem to watch it.

    I'm going to put it on my list of things to check out next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Debora! You'll have to stop by and let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have watched it. It's okay. I want them to deviate more from the "old V". You're only behind like 4 eps if you want to jump in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was watching the catch-up show the other night and I felt that although I had seen episode 1 I hadn't missed much by not watching 2-4. I don't think it is going to make it. Too bad because I love a good sci-fi!

    Lilly

    ReplyDelete
  5. I caught the first few episodes last year but not them all. I've recorded the most recent one but don't seem terribly motivated to watch it. I guess I have mixed feelings ... and not much time on my hands.
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Amazing that we all agree. Maybe you're right, Jody, and they're sticking too much to the original. It's funny, because the set-up is pretty high stakes. But the story-telling undercuts them somehow.

    ReplyDelete

 
ja