Wednesday, February 3, 2010

A Sweet Treat and a Surprising “Best-Selling” Author



Do you have a favorite candy? I do. Conversation Hearts are my favorite and this is their season. To celebrate, I’ve opened a bag of sweet treats and – to pass along the good times – I’d like to share 13 of the sayings that caught my eye.

But I’m getting ahead of myself.
Before trying to melt your heart, here are few facts I’ve discovered about those candy hearts. Until 2000 or so, Walter Marshall worked at NECCO, a New England Confectionery Company and one of his duties was to select the sayings that adorn the 8 billion candy hearts NECCO sells each year.

Just think, his words were read by billions of people. Amazing!

Actually, candy conversation hearts have been around much longer than Mr. Marshall. The sayings: “Be Mine,” “Be Good,” “Be True,” “Kiss Me” and “Sweet Talk” have appeared on candy hearts for better than a century -- since 1902.
Newer sayings have joined their ranks, including “Tweet Me,” “Girl Power,” “Top Dog” and, of course, “Melt My Heart.”
And, guess what? There are candy companies that will put your comments on those precious hearts. If you go to http://acme.com/heartmaker/ you can put your words on a virtual heart. (A less fattening and fun way to convey your messages.) I drew up a few comments of my own before I munched on my bag of Brach’s Conversation Hearts.
Well, you’ve waited long enough. Here are 13 of the messages found in that bag:

1. “You Rule”
2. “Cupcake”
3. “Dare Ya”
4. “First Kiss”
5. “Mad 4 U”
6. “Be True”
7. “E-Mail Me”
8. “My Cutie”
9. “See Ya”
10. “Good Bye”
11. “My Boy”
12. “My Girl”
13. “Be Mine”

Have a great Valentine’s Day! And if you have a favorite candy, please share it with me. It’s always fun to try something new.

Sources
http://gonewengland.about.com/library/weekly/aa012700a.htm
http://www.infoplease.com/spot/candyhearts1.html

30 comments:

  1. I love those candies too. I like the blue favor.

    My post will be up at midnight. Hope you visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "You rule" reminds me of Lord Chamberlain (or was it his name?) saying that to Princess Mia in church :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son got hold of "cupcake" one year, and swore off the candy hearts for good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good bye?! Well gee, isn't that romantic. LOL I'd say my absolute favorite candy is Lindor's dark chocolate truffles. Mmmm.... My Thursday Thirteen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I need some of these, and I'd like the job to think up what should go on them.

    Did someone say Cadbury Creme Eggs????

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny, I went to Info Please for help with mine today!

    Never had Email me, when I was a kid!

    Here is mine – 13 Best novel first lines!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sure I've seen most of those sayings on the candies since I was a child. But "You Rule" and "E-Mail Me" have got to be pretty new.


    My TT: Translatable

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to love those candies when I was a kid. I love mini eggs, but am keeping my distance from them this year. My biggest downfall is a love for all things chocolate.
    Fun post. Happy T13!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Journeywoman,
    Oh, I like those creme eggs too.

    Mitchypoo,
    The blues are good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hazel,
    It is funny how our memories are linked to one another. Thanks for commenting.

    Alice Audrey,
    Grin, I think, generally, men don't like to be called, "Cupcake".

    ReplyDelete
  11. Clever post! For me, it's gotta be chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  12. jehara,
    Cherry sours are good. A fine choice. Thanks.


    Heather,
    My son likes Lindor's dark chocolate truffles, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Shelley Munro,
    I'm with you. I'd like to write the sayings too.

    Beyond You,
    Yep, candy hearts are good. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sassy Brit,
    I will come visit. I like first lines. Thanks.


    Grandma,
    Yeah, I think you're right.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Adelle Lauden and Mama Zen,

    Grin. I'm a big fan of chocolate too. It's both a blessing and a problem for me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've always wanted the job of coming up with candy heart sayings. I like to read them more than eat them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such memories!
    I think I'll have to get boxes of these for the kids this year. Haven't done that in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love those candies as well. Too bad you only see them around valentines day where I live.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ahh, now I see why you're mentioning these over at my place. I think I still have some from last year, hidden on my baking shelf...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Colleen,
    Great minds think alike--I'd like to write the sayings on candy hearts too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ella,
    Yeah, I think conversation hearts are fun too. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wild Woman in the Wild Woods,
    Yeah, the conversation hearts are only available around Valentine's Day. That's part of their allure, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Susan,
    You still have some from last year? Wow, you have willpower.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love dark chocolate peanut M&Ms. They're like crack...so I have to be sure to only purchase small bags. I'm afraid I'd eat the whole big bag if I bought one.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Celticlibrarian,

    I agree with you. I think lots of candy is addictive. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've always loved conversation hearts :-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Janet,
    Me too! I appreciate you stopping by.

    ReplyDelete

 
ja