Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Interview with Author Michelle Pillow

1) Briefly, who are you as an author and what do you write?

Michelle: I’m Michelle M. Pillow, Author of All Things Romance. Like the tagline says, I write in all genres, subgenres and mixed genres of romance, from sweet to super sexy. Some of my more popular works include paranormal, futuristics, historicals, fantasies, contemporaries and several combinations thereof. I’ve contracted well over 60 books of romantic fiction. Readers can learn more about me here: http://www.michellepillow.com/

I also write articles and interviews for Paranormal Underground Magazine. Like the name implies, it’s paranormal non-romance. http://www.paranormalunderground.net/

2) What do you do (voluntarily) when you're not writing?

I’m an avid photographer. I’ve been doing it longer than writing, in fact. So I love taking pictures, as well as research, learning new things, experiencing new things, traveling. One of my last non-work trips was a 3000 mile drive across the USA. I think that’s why I love writing. It’s an opportunity to explore and learn.

If at home, I love movies from the old classic Hollywood to today, musicals to horror films (go zombies!).

3) What's your favorite deadline snack?

Michelle: Coffee with cream. If someone doesn’t bring me food I can forget to eat.

4) What is it about paranormal romance? How do you feel paranormal elements enhance the romance and vice versa?

Michelle: I think in our modern age a lot of the mystery is gone. Science has explained so much. But that doesn’t mean it’s explained it all. I think we, as humans, need the mysticism of the unknown. Because, for as much as science has explained, there is a lot that they haven’t. I think it’s vanity for us to believe that we have all the answers, are alone in the universe, and that supernatural things do not exist in this world. Plus, the paranormal just makes the world all that more interesting. I hope it’s out there.

5) Authors also tend to be devoted readers. What authors do you read for inspiration and/or enjoyment?

Michelle: I read a lot of non-fiction, research type books. I love history, so anything that has to do with history, I devour it. I have a huge library of non-fiction books on subjects ranging from Gray’s Anatomy to the Encyclopedia of Hell.

Recently, I enjoyed Anna Campbell’s Untouched and Claiming the Courtesan. And, of course, there’s my partner in crime, author Mandy Roth. I love her Immortal Ops series and keep bugging her to do more.

6) What is your biggest "collection" (besides books)?

Michelle: DVDs. I love movies. They’re a perfect escape from the computer when I’ve been working all day and can’t read anymore.

7) What were your favorite childhood (as in pre-teen, even) books or movies? Can you spy the seeds of paranormal romance budding even then?

Michelle: I started writing straight historical romances, and had several done before even trying to publish. My first published book was a paranormal Victorian set ghost story romance. When I was younger, I read a lot of classic British and 18th-19th century literature but that was more in High School. When I was younger, it was more whatever genre YA fiction happened to catch my notice. Honestly, I can’t even tell you the titles of them. Though, there was a *blush* Sweet Valley High phase in there somewhere. LOL, don’t judge me!

8) What paranormal book or movie would you like to be dropped into the middle of, to experience the world if not the entire plot?

Michelle: Oh, that’s sooo hard. Just one? I tend to find a lot of worlds I’d like to visit when I’m watching, though I wouldn’t necessarily want to follow the plot line as much as have free reign to do whatever I wanted and go wherever I wanted. It would have to be supernatural based, or historical. I have access to the everyday contemporary life as it is.

9) If you had to have a lifesize standee of a character in a paranormal tv series, movie or book in your bedroom at all times, who would it be and how would other residents of your household probably feel about it?

Michelle: I wouldn’t put a lifesize standee of anything in my bedroom. It’d freak me out every time I got up in the middle of the night. Though, um, I do have a lifesize standees of both Yoda and Chewy in the movie room. It took me forever to stop jumping when I walked by.

10) If you were deprived of your computer for a year and had no looming deadline, would you write your next book in longhand anyway or keep notes and wait until you had a computer again to finish it?

Michelle: I would probably write it in longhand, Michelle-shorthand to be transcribed later…but only if the writing bug hit. Otherwise, I’d start a new project. Probably traveling around taking photos.

11) If you could have a little-known superpower, what one would you pick and why? What one would your friends and loved ones pick FOR you?

Michelle: The ability to point and instantly clean. I hate housework. My family would probably give me that and the ability to point and instantly cook.

12) Anything else you'd like to share with visitors to the Diner?

Michelle: Thank you so much for having me! I have several releases out this year and coming soon, so please check out the website! Coming Jan 1, 2010 the three book fantasy romance series, Realm Immortal, will be in bookstores (King of the Unblessed, Faery Queen and Stone Queen).

Readers are welcome to visit me at the following links:

Website – http://www.michellepillow.com/

Raven – Free story for readers, bookstore, radio show, paranormal blog –

http://www.ravenhappyhour.com/ , http://www.theravenbooks.com/

Newsletter - http://www.michellepillow.com/newsletter/?p=subscribe


***

Jody W.
http://www.jodywallace.com/ * http://www.meankitty.com/

2 comments:

  1. Hi Michelle. Thanks for coming by. I don't think I have you on my TBR list. Gonna have to go add some of your books now. They sound fantastic!

    ReplyDelete

 
ja