Wow! A new year -- and a whole new decade -- has started. To commiserate or commemorate, depending on your mood, I’d like to share some of my favorite New Year quotes.
1. May all your troubles last as long as your New Year's resolutions! -- Joey Adams
2. We spend Jan. 1 walking through our lives, room by room, drawing up a list of work to be done, cracks to be patched. Maybe this year, to balance the list, we ought to walk through the rooms of our lives... not looking for flaws, but for potential. -- Ellen Goodman
3. One resolution I have made, and try always to keep, is this: To rise above the little things. -- John Burroughs
4. An optimist stays up until midnight to see the New Year in. A pessimist stays up to make sure the old year leaves. -- Bill Vaughan
5. I made no resolutions for the New Year. The habit of making plans, of criticizing, sanctioning and molding my life, is too much of a daily event for me. -- Anais Nin
6. Drop the last year into the silent limbo of the past. Let it go, for it was imperfect, and thank God it can go. -- Brooks Atkinson
7. From New Year's on, the outlook brightens, good humor lost in a mood of failure returns. I resolve to stop complaining. -- Leonard Bernstein
8. Making resolutions is a cleansing ritual of self-assessment and repentance that demands personal honesty and, ultimately, reinforces humility. Breaking them is part of the cycle. -- Eric Zorn
9. We will open the book. Its pages are blank. We are going to put words on them ourselves. The book is called Opportunity and its first chapter is New Year's Day. -- Edith Lovejoy Pierce
10. It wouldn't be New Year's if I didn't have regrets. -- William Thomas
11. Happiness is too many things these days for anyone to wish it on anyone lightly. So let's just wish each other a bile-less New Year and leave it at that. --Judith Crist
12. Good resolutions are simply checks that men draw on a bank where they have no account. -- Oscar Wilde
13. Cheers to a New Year and another chance for us to get it right. -- Oprah Winfrey
May 2010 find you well and be kind to you!