Friday, December 18, 2009

What's In Your Basement?

I’m currently enrolled in Bob Mayer’s WARRIOR WRITERS. I highly recommend this course, but I warn you, there is a LOT of thinking involved. The parts of WARRIOR WRITERS that spoke most directly to me were those about fear and courage. One of the things he says is, “Your blind spot is wrapped around your deepest fears. A successful individual doesn’t ignore fear, but rather faces it, plans for it, and factors it into their life with courage.” Much different than the way I’ve always lived my life. I’ve mostly ignored fear, hoping it would go away. Until last spring.

It’s no secret that I had a sort of breakdown. Depression and anxiety took over until all I wanted to do was sit in front of the television and vegetate. Not like me. Not like me at all. What happened was that all the fear I’d collected from a childhood of abuse refused to stay in the box I’d shoved it in. Like the proverbial Pandora’s Box, it opened and all the stuff I seriously didn’t want to face flew out. I had to face my past.

It was, and is, hard. On the other hand, I’m a much stronger, happier, less haunted person because of it. Facing fear, even planning for it, not a bad way to live life. And maybe why I write paranormal. I can defeat the fictional monsters.

The creatures aren’t all bad, though. I’m currently working on a manuscript with a mythical creature who is anything but bad. It’s much lighter than my usual work too. (I’d appreciate any crossed fingers, toes, paws, claws, etc., as I finish it up and start looking for a publisher.)

Not that I’ll never write dark again. I love to play on the dark side — as long as there are the funny places to balance it all out.

Honestly, I think balance is the secret to a good life. Now if I could just find that balance…

So search the shadows and face the monsters lurking there. I promise, they’re more ethereal than corporeal; more bark than bite, to use a cliché.

Hope you and yours have/are having a wonderful holiday season!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
ja