Now that Thanksgiving, Black Friday, Cyber Monday, National Novel Writing Month and the start of December have come and gone, I’m thinking about the most anticipated holiday of the year -- Christmas. . .
And I’m actually perspiring.
Don’t get me wrong. I love Christmas, but there’s such a multitude of preparations: gifts to purchase, packages to wrap, cards to send, trees to decorate, cookies to bake, dinners to create, parties to plan, people to visit. It can be overwhelming and I’d like to help you with that, if only in a small way.
Just as radio stations play Christmas carols to put you in a festive mood, I’d like to share some Christmas quotes to ready you for the festivities ahead.
Header by Samulli
1. Christmas is not as much about opening our presents as opening our hearts. ~Janice Maeditere
2. I do like Christmas on the whole. ... In its clumsy way, it does approach Peace and Goodwill. But it is clumsier every year. ~E.M. Forster
3. Let us remember that the Christmas heart is a giving heart, a wide-open heart that thinks of others first. The birth of the baby Jesus stands as the most significant event in all of history because it has meant the pouring of healing into a sick world -- a healing medicine of love which has transformed all manner of hearts for 2,000 years. Underneath all the bulging bundles is this beating Christmas heart. ~George M. Adams
4. Santa Claus has the right idea. Visit people once a year. ~Victor Borge
5. Christmas, children, is not a date. It is a state of mind. ~Mary Ellen Chase
6. Peace on Earth will come to stay when we live Christmas every day.~Helen Steiner Rice
7. Never worry about the size of your Christmas tree. In the eyes of children, they are all 30 feet tall. ~Larry Wilde, The Merry Book of Christmas
8. There are three stages of man: he believes in Santa Claus; he does not believe in Santa Claus; he is Santa Claus. ~Bob Phillips
9. There has been only one Christmas -- the rest are anniversaries. ~W.J. Cameron
10. I wish we could put some of the Christmas spirit in jars and open a jar of it every month. ~Harlan Miller
11. Christmas reminds us we are not alone. We are not unrelated atoms, bouncing and ricocheting amid aliens, but are a part of something, which holds and sustains us. As we struggle with shopping lists and invitations, compounded by December's bad weather, it is good to be reminded that there are people in our lives who are worth this aggravation, and people to whom we are worth the same. Christmas shows us the ties that bind us together, threads of love and caring, woven in the simplest and strongest way within the family. ~Donald E. Westlake
12. The best of all gifts around any Christmas tree: the presence of a happy family all wrapped up in each other.~Burton Hillis
13. Keep your Christmas-heart open all the year round. ~Jessica Archmint
What are your thoughts about Christmas as it quickly approaches? Are you excited? Apprehensive? Do you have many dozens of tasks to complete? What helps you wade through them?
I’d love to hear your suggestions or comments.