Wednesday, December 2, 2009

On Dasher, On Dancer, Onward to Christmas! 13 Quotes to Enliven Your Preparations





Now that Thanksgiving, Black Friday, Cyber Monday, National Novel Writing Month and the start of December have come and gone, I’m thinking about the most anticipated holiday of the year -- Christmas. . .

And I’m actually perspiring.

Don’t get me wrong. I love Christmas, but there’s such a multitude of preparations: gifts to purchase, packages to wrap, cards to send, trees to decorate, cookies to bake, dinners to create, parties to plan, people to visit. It can be overwhelming and I’d like to help you with that, if only in a small way.

Just as radio stations play Christmas carols to put you in a festive mood, I’d like to share some Christmas quotes to ready you for the festivities ahead.

Header by Samulli


1. Christmas is not as much about opening our presents as opening our hearts. ~Janice Maeditere
2. I do like Christmas on the whole. ... In its clumsy way, it does approach Peace and Goodwill. But it is clumsier every year. ~E.M. Forster
3. Let us remember that the Christmas heart is a giving heart, a wide-open heart that thinks of others first. The birth of the baby Jesus stands as the most significant event in all of history because it has meant the pouring of healing into a sick world -- a healing medicine of love which has transformed all manner of hearts for 2,000 years. Underneath all the bulging bundles is this beating Christmas heart. ~George M. Adams
4. Santa Claus has the right idea. Visit people once a year. ~Victor Borge
5. Christmas, children, is not a date. It is a state of mind. ~Mary Ellen Chase
6. Peace on Earth will come to stay when we live Christmas every day.~Helen Steiner Rice
7. Never worry about the size of your Christmas tree. In the eyes of children, they are all 30 feet tall. ~Larry Wilde, The Merry Book of Christmas
8. There are three stages of man: he believes in Santa Claus; he does not believe in Santa Claus; he is Santa Claus. ~Bob Phillips
9. There has been only one Christmas -- the rest are anniversaries. ~W.J. Cameron
10. I wish we could put some of the Christmas spirit in jars and open a jar of it every month. ~Harlan Miller
11. Christmas reminds us we are not alone. We are not unrelated atoms, bouncing and ricocheting amid aliens, but are a part of something, which holds and sustains us. As we struggle with shopping lists and invitations, compounded by December's bad weather, it is good to be reminded that there are people in our lives who are worth this aggravation, and people to whom we are worth the same. Christmas shows us the ties that bind us together, threads of love and caring, woven in the simplest and strongest way within the family. ~Donald E. Westlake
12. The best of all gifts around any Christmas tree: the presence of a happy family all wrapped up in each other.~Burton Hillis
13. Keep your Christmas-heart open all the year round. ~Jessica Archmint

What are your thoughts about Christmas as it quickly approaches? Are you excited? Apprehensive? Do you have many dozens of tasks to complete? What helps you wade through them?

45 comments:

  1. What's so funny bout peace, love, and understanding? ~ Elvis Costello.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like #5! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I wouldn't employ it myself, I do like Victor Borge's Christmas quote. As I get older, I find that Christmas comes and goes quicker and quicker, which is the way I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list....I just can't get past nor forget your very first on....that is so so true!!!

    My Thursday Thirteen is posted now...if you'd like to stop by...it's 13 'plays on words' that make you wonder....stop by if you have a chance. Click Here Then, scroll down below my Thursday Thunks Meme....Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely quotes!
    I have so much to do before Christmas...time to crank up the Christmas tunes and get motivated!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Colleen,
    Thanks for the quote!

    Forgetfulone,
    I like thinking about Christmas as a state of mind too. Thanks for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ya know, I've never felt *more* alone and different than at this time of year. So ... number 11 doesn't hold up for me. Not even close.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the #7, becwe only have a small tree but my boys are so delighted when we decorated it. (^_^)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Malcolm,
    I know what you mean. It's funny how quickly holidays arrive.


    Americanising Desi,
    Thanks, I'm fond of the season too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ibeati,
    Yep, I agree. Thanks for visiting.

    Hootin'Annie,
    I like the notion of opening our hearts too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bec,
    I'm with you. I like Christmas carols and I'm on the getting ready tasks.

    Susan Helene Gottfried,
    I'm sorry to hear you're lonely. I hope things will get better for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Willa@SmartMommy,
    My sons enjoy decorating the tree too. I hope they'll always think it's fun.

    ReplyDelete
  13. fun list! My thoughts on Christmas this year are that it is going to be a much simpler holiday for us than usual. Grown kids, no grands, just us for the season, and we are looking forward to some peace on earth! My TT is things I am not doing this Christmas to help in that quest. Blessings to you! Happy TT!
    tm

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great TT! I'm totally excited!

    *hugs*
    Paige

    My TT is at http://paigetylertheauthor.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been posting Christmas quotes to my twitter (@popartdiva) lately - I just stole this one from you "There are three stages of man: he believes in Santa Claus; he does not believe in Santa Claus; he is Santa Claus. ~Bob Phillips"

    Thanks - it was a new one for me! :)

    Thanks for stopping by my The Best Part of CHRISTMAS PAST

    ReplyDelete
  16. I Love #12 Great quotes.
    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great quotes! Christmas is my favorite time of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fun Christmas quotes ;-)
    Thanks for sharing and best wishes with your holiday preparations. I've shared T-13s at Happily Retired Gal and Sacred Ruminations this week ... just because.
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  19. I admit I am not looking forward to Christmas as much as I normally do, but love your quotes. May your Merry be Very!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Excellent group of quotes you collected to share.
    I hope you'll visit my Thursday Thirteens at The Cafe & The Library.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great quotes. I don't have any to add. I have to agree about Christmas coming faster and faster each year. Um...maybe I'm getting old.

    ReplyDelete
  22. So...my parents just got asked by their neighbor to play Mr. and Mrs. Santa for a Christmas Party. Needless to say, they were a bit surprised.

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ornery's Wife,
    I'm happy for you. It's great to have an easy holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Calico Crazy and Paige Tyler,
    I appreciate you stopping by. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Adelle Laudan,
    I like the idea of gathering around the tree too. Thanks.

    Kristen,
    I'm a big fan of Christmas and the beginning of Winter as well.

    ReplyDelete
  26. storyteller,
    hugs and blessings back at you.

    Ella,
    Yep, number 8 has me thinking about what category the people I know fall in. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Heather,
    Christmas is fun, but it can also involve much stress. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sassy Mama Bear and Shelley Munro,
    Thanks. I'm glad you enjoyed the quotes. I try to please.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Celticlibrarian,
    Oh, wow. I'd be surprised too.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I especially liked 3, 5, and 12! Christmas is fun! I usually don't get too stressed, the only time I do, is when stuff I order doesn't come on time. I love decorating the tree, and baking! My TT is here: http://lifes-adventures.net

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Noelle,
    I like decorating the tree and baking too. I'm hoping to get to those things this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I like no. 6 and 1 and well, all of them. It was great seeing Helen Steiner Rice again. I haven't read her in awhile. I was glad you included her; it brought back a few nice memories.

    ReplyDelete
  33. The Victor Borge one is hilarious:

    'Santa Claus has the right idea. Visit people once a year.' - LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hazel,
    Thanks. I have a thing for quotes and I'm tickled when they please others too.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Julia Smith,
    Yep, there is some wisdom there. Grin.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Gattina,
    Thanks. I like sharing quotes.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Great quotes! I've never really celebrated Christmas because it's my dad's birthday, so we celebrate his birthday instead, but it's always a great time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Great list! I really like #3!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Karen,
    I like number 3 too. Thanks for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete

 
ja