Sunday, October 18, 2009

Is Paranormal Romance the New Horror?

Recently, I sat on a panel in Las Vegas asking this question. Paranormal romance has blossomed over the last few years, and some are saying it's reaching into the horror markets, as well as romance. What do you think?

Horror often involves ghosts, vampires, werewolves and other supernatural (paranormal) creatures. So does paranormal romance. People like Laurell K. Hamilton, Sherrilyn Kenyon and Christine Feehan have bridged genres with their paranormal books. Jim Butcher's Dresden Files and Simon R. Green's Nightside series appeal to lovers of both genres. What is the real difference?

I think it's up to you to decide. What do you think this means for the future of paranormal as a genre? We talk about humorous paranormal more than just about any other kind, but there are so many other kinds. I'm going to check out the movie Paranormal Activity, because I heard it's very haunting and scary in a lot of ways. I have to see for myself. A lot of my friends are the same way - they have to see for themselves.

So I invite you to tell me - is paranormal romance the new horror? Or are we just scaring ourselves?

Oh, and just because this is a diner, here's the hashbrown casserole recipe I used for dinner tonight. Yum.

HASHBROWN CASSEROLE

Large bag frozen hashbrowns
1/2 c. butter/margarine
1/2 c. chopped onions
16 oz. sour cream (I use light)
1 can cheddar soup
10 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
1 tsp. minced garlic
Salt & pepper to taste
A dash of Worcestshire sauce

Mix ingredients together. Pour into buttered casserole dish and bake at 400 degrees for 45 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. Really good question and really appealing recipe. Our house may follow your example and have hash tonight. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

 
ja