Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Thinking in the kitchen

Some people plot in the shower or driving a car. My best muse visits me in the kitchen, while I'm cooking - mostly baking, which I love, but cooking dinner as well. It's relatively quiet and since I don't have to read a lot of recipes because I retain well, I can let my mind play. It helps me a lot to fill the well by reading a book or magazine and then saying, what if? Like any good writer, that leads me down the path to amazing things that eventually might make their way into a story.

To help our members and guests, then, I decided since we are a diner, I might post some of our favorite recipes, and all of you feel free to jump in and post one of your own. Today's recipe is one I just found recently in an old cookbook of my mother's - you know the kind. They would sell them for a couple dollars at county fairs and church breakfasts, and the cooks who donated the recipes had been cooking for years and years, so it's all good. I challenge you to try some of these recipes without gaining weight!!

Banana Bread
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 cup butter
* 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
* 2 eggs, beaten
* 1 tsp vanilla
* 2 1/3 cups mashed overripe bananas

1. Preheat oven to 350 and lightly grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan (I like to use small loaf pans to give away).
2. Combine flour, baking soda and salt. In separate bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar, stir in eggs, vanilla and bananas. Stir banana mixture into flour mixture just to moisten. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
3. Bake in preheated oven for 60 to 65 minutes, until a knife or toothpick inserted into center of the loaf comes out clean. Let bread cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack.

Let me know how it turns out for you!

3 comments:

  1. Mmmmm...banana bread....I'd probably add chocolate chips because everything is better with chocolate chips. Or bacon, but I don't think bacon would work. Or would it?

    I do a great deal of mental writing in the kitchen or behind the vacuum cleaner. Just about any physical task that doesn't require thinking beyond "Don't stick the knives in the drain point up" or "Don't vacuum over socks the kids left on the floor" helps unknot sticky plot problems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I do a lot of my thinking when I'm typing doctors' letters. True, what they're saying comes out through my fingers leaving my brain to get on with plotting a new chapter for my book. There's something to be said for multitasking...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to make this bread. It sounds just yummy. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

 
ja