Monday, June 1, 2009

Writing On The Go

When most people think of a writer at work on the next great American novel, they think of a dark, cozy study filled with shelves of books, a big oak desk, worn leather chairs and maybe even an old-fashioned typewriter tapping away in the silence of the night. Not me. Right now, I’m sitting in the customer lounge area of my local Honda dealership waiting on my rejected van to be repaired. Thank heavens for free Wi-Fi.

The era of laptops and wireless internet has changed the life of the writer. No longer are we chained to a clunky old typewriter with an ink ribbon that smears and whiteout to blot away our mistakes. We can write just about anywhere we want or need to. I’ve been known to escape to the library, the park, the ever favorite Starbucks or Panera Bread, or whip out my Alphasmart by the pool. I’ve created characters while waiting for my turn in the dentist chair and written a hot love scene on the 6 hour drive to the beach while the kids were occupied watching movies (Hurray for portable DVD players! and no, I wasn’t driving. *G*)

As 21st century writers, we can be creative just about anywhere. And sometimes, a change of scenery is what we really need. Just getting away from the office, study, kitchen table or wherever it is we choose to write can do wonders for inspiration and productivity. See, I just wrote 250 words in less than 10 minutes. Imagine what I could do if I did this every day on my manuscript? Hmmm, not a bad idea. Maybe tomorrow I’ll try working on that sword fight scene at McDonalds. *G*

1 comment:

  1. It's great to be able to write almost anywhere. Good post.

    ReplyDelete

 
ja