Thursday, June 11, 2009

13 Quotes That Celebrate Summer




Yes, I know most people mark the beginning of summer at Memorial Day, even though the calendar insists it’s officially June 21st. But for me, as a teacher and a mom, it begins the afternoon of the day school lets out. Squeee! That’s only a few days away.
In celebration of summer, I’d like to share some of my favorite quotes about this much-awaited season.
Header from samulli


1. (We’ll start with a bit of humor.) Being a child at home alone in the summer is a high-risk occupation. If you call your mother at work 13 times an hour, she can hurt you. --Erma Bombeck
2. Rest is not idleness, and to lie sometimes on the grass under the trees on a summer`s day, listening to the murmur of water, or watching the clouds float across the sky, this is by no means a waste of time. --John Lubbock
3. Then follows that beautiful season: summer.... Filled was the air with a dreamy and magical light; and the landscapelay as if new created in all the freshness of childhood. -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
4. Summer is the time when one sheds one's tensions with one's clothes, and the right kind of day is jeweled balm for the battered spirit. A few of those days and you can become drunk with the belief that all is right with the world. -- Ada Louise Huxtable
5. The summer night is like a perfection of thought. --Wallace Stevens
6. A perfect summer day is when the sun is shining, the breeze is blowing, the birds are singing, and the lawn mower is broken. --James Dent
7. If a June night could talk, it would probably boast it invented romance. --Bern Williams
8. Nothing is more memorable than a smell. One scent can be unexpected, momentary and fleeting, yet conjure up a childhood summer beside a lake in the mountains. - - Diane Ackerman
9. People take pictures of the summer. Just in case someone thought they had missed it. And to prove that it really existed. –- Ray Davis
10. Dirty hands, iced tea, garden fragrances thick in the air and a blanket of color before me, who could ask for more? -- Bev Adams
11. People don't notice whether it's winter or summer when they're happy. --Anton Chekhov
12. Summer afternoon, summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language. -- -Henry James
13. In summer, the song sings itself. -- William Carlos Williams

Are you eager to plunge into summer ? Do you have a favorite summer quote? Leave a comment and let me know. Thanks.





Sources
http://www.quotegarden.com/summer.html
http://www.quotelucy.com/keywords/summered-quotes.html
http://thinkexist.com/quotes/with/keyword/summer/3.html
http://www.great-inspirational-quotes.com/summer-quotes.html

50 comments:

  1. If only our weather would cooperate with your list...

    http://iamharriet.blogspot.com/2009/06/13-best-places-to-live-in-usthursday-13.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am Harriet,
    I hear you there. Happy TT anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always enjoyed summer - no school, no pressure, and in my part of the globe - fruit season, water resorts swell with people and fun fun fun! I enjoyed reading your list. Very lovely quotes about summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hazel,
    Your part of the globe sounds wonderful. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. summer just ended here in the Philippines! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoyed those quotes ... sat here in the UK ... overcast and raining ... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love spring and summer, only for the moment we have temperatures like in winter ! No summer in view, sigh ! Nice list !

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love quote no. 5 - perfect! Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know, I don't lie in the grass enough. Maybe I should go do that now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love numbers 2 and 4! It is definitely summer here today!! We are headed out in a few minutes to meet friends at the pool and cool off :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chris, Anthony North and Gattina,
    Thank you for visiting from your countries at least an ocean away from me. It's great to have friends all over the globe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rikki,
    I like number 5 too. Sometimes summer is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Alice Audrey,
    I'm with you. Lets go find some grass.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tracey,
    Have a great time at the pool. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Chelle,
    Yeah, lots of moms really do get number 1. Grins.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Julie,
    Thanks. I appreciate you stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are wonderful! Enjoy your summer!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These quotes are all great, and when it comes to Summer I say BRING IT :) Happy TT and thanks for visiting mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love summers too just coz of the juicy ripe mangoes we get to dig into....its the best time!

    Thanks for stopping by my TT!

    Happy TT

    ReplyDelete
  20. All I can say is that I love summer's BBQ and picnic... Happy TT!



    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  21. I believe Toronto FINALLY entered Summer yesterday... at least, more than a day of Summer followed by two days of sudden Fall. In these parts, that means only one thing to most people in my city! Time to complain about the oppressive heat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely summer quote list ... methinks my favorite today is #8, but #11 is a close second ;--)
    Happy summer to all!
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great quotes! I like #2 the best I think, although #10 certainly resonates with me too, especially the dirty hands part.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Those are great quotes. I particularly liked the one about June inventing romance!

    ReplyDelete
  25. April, Sue, Rims and Jo,
    Thanks. It's nice to hear from other summer fans!

    ReplyDelete
  26. DoubleDeckerBusGuy,
    I'm glad summer finally got to Toronto. It was here too, but so far this week it feels like fall. Anyway, Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  27. becky68,
    Thanks for your comment. I like the dirty hands part too.

    ReplyDelete
  28. CountryDew,
    I'm so with you. Tomorrow, in fact I'm going to a wedding--proof June and romance are indeed connected. Grin.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Yep, I agree: summer begins when the kids get off the bus stop that final time. Which should be in about fifteen minutes. And believe it or not, I'm nervous about it.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Susan Helene Gottfried,
    Yeah, it's always an adjustment. It's fun, but different.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great quotes. It's trying hard to be summer time here in Southern Ontario. Happy T13!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Sigh...I do love summer. If only it were summer here in NZ.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it. Russel Baker.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great quotes on summer!
    It's summer all year round where I live...I hope for cooler weather! :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. I'm a teacher, too, so summer starts the last day of school. Great quotes!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Adelle Laudan,
    I'm glad summer is finally coming to Southern Ontario.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Shelley Munro,
    Thanks for visiting from NZ. :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Colleen,
    Thanks for the Russel Baker quote.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Yyam,
    Thanks, I collect quotes.

    ReplyDelete
  40. 3 Sides of Crazy,
    Thanks for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Forgetful One,
    I didn't know that you're a teacher. Happy Summer!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Did Ray Davis live in Massachusetts? Because that's pretty much how I feel about it - so wonderful and way too short before the snowflakes start to fall again.

    ReplyDelete
  43. The Bumbles,
    Hmm. Maybe Ray Davis does live in Massachusetts. I don't know. That's something to google. Grin.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Ella Drake,
    Thanks. I love summer too.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Celticlibrarian,
    Yeah, who doesn't appreciate some time off in summer? I like John Lubbock's quote too.

    ReplyDelete

 
ja