Friday, May 15, 2009

What Characters Really Do...

Hi, my name is Kia Wolfe, and I just happen to be a character in Cheryel’s head. Well, actually I’m a character in her first novel, Shadows of Evil—which is an absolutely fascinating read, if I do say so myself. It took a lot of time and effort to get that stubborn writer to tell the story correctly, and I was exhausted for the longest time. But I digress. The reason I’m with you today is to tell you how Cheryel Hutton became a writer of the paranormal.


You’re probably asking how the heck would a character know why a writer writes what she writes. Well who else? See, in spite of what they may tell you, writers have no idea why they write what they do. I’m going to tell you a secret, (I’m whispering here) it’s the characters who decide the stories a writer writes.


The procedure is for a group of characters to get together. We then debate the kind of story that particular writer seems more suited to write. Then we send one or more characters to the writer. She usually fights us when we try to tell her our stories, but somewhere down the line one of us will intrigue her, and she’ll submit to our demands…I mean agree to tell our stories.

Eventually we know what she seems more suited to write, and from that time we’ll send characters whose stories that writer should be competent to tell. Sometimes the stories seem very different, but we don’t go by the genre/subgenre thing. We go by other criteria, intricate, involved criteria.

I decided Cheryel would be a reasonable choice to tell my story. Some of my friends told me I was crazy. “Go with Nora Roberts,” one of them said. Yeah, like I want to stand in line that long. No, I wanted a newer writer, one I could get to sooner, and manipulate more easily (oops, did I say that out loud?) So I decided on Cheryel. She is stubborn, though. She wanted me to drive a car called “Kia.” Can you imagine! Eventually I convinced her that Kia is my name not my choice of vehicle, and we got to work. Once she got into the listening-to-her-character mode, I was able to guide her through the telling of my story.

So that’s how it works. We characters decided that my story was something that Cheryel should be able to write. Since my story involves a romance (with that yummy Garrett!) you would call it a romance. And since ghosts and an evil wizard are involved in my story, you’d call it a paranormal. Dark, sexy, funny, scary; my story has it all (big grin).

So now that we characters know that Cheryel can write my variety of story competently we’re sending more characters to her with similar types of stories.

And that’s how Cheryel became a paranormal romance writer.

Hugs and kisses,
Kia Wolfe, character

2 comments:

  1. >>“Go with Nora Roberts,” one of them said. Yeah, like I want to stand in line that long. No, I wanted a newer writer, one I could get to sooner, and manipulate more easily (oops, did I say that out loud?)

    SNIRK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed at that line too. *G* Kia sounds like someone I'd definitely like to meet.

    ReplyDelete

 
ja