Thursday, April 23, 2009

What’s Up With the Weather?

Last Saturday, southern Wisconsin’s temperature was hovered around 60. That’s pretty good for this time of year in the north country.
I went for a long walk around my neighborhood. I took pictures of my daffodils and crocuses. I planned to blog about spring flowers, but Tuesday morning I was in for a surprise.
I awoke to … snow, big fluffy flakes falling outside my window.
Wow, what’s up with this weather?


The quirky April snow inspired me. I’ll blog today not about spring flowers, but about our fickle weather. Web surfing I found others who have felt compelled to comment on the weather.



Here are some of my favorite quotes:
1. The trouble with weather forecasting is that it's right too often for us to ignore it and wrong too often for us to rely on it. -- Patrick Young
2. When all is said and done, the weather and love are the two elements about which one can never be sure. -- Alice Hoffman
3. Weather forecast for tonight: Dark. Continued dark overnight, with widely scattered light by morning. –-George Carlin
4. Bad weather always looks worse through a window. -- Author Unknown
5. Conversation about the weather is the last refuge of the unimaginative. -- Oscar Wilde
6. The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco. -- Mark Twain
7. Weather is a great metaphor for life - sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad, and there's nothing much you can do about it but carry an umbrella. -- Pepper Giardino
8. Don’t knock the weather. If it didn’t change once in a while, nine out of ten people couldn’t start a conversation. -- Kin Hubbard
9. Any proverbs about weather are doubly true during a storm. -- Ed Northstrum
10. April weather -- rain and sunshine both together. -- English saying
11. Money is the opposite of the weather. Nobody talks about it, but everybody does something about it. -- Rebecca Johnson
12. There is no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather. -- John Ruskin
13. Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine. -- Anthony J. D’Angelo


What’s the weather like where you live? Is it still snowy? Sunny and warm? Commiserate with me or brag. I’ll enjoy hearing from you.






Sources
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/weather/
http://thinkexist.com/quotes/with/keyword/good_weather/
http://www.quotegarden.com/weather.html
http://www.saidwhat.co.uk/topicquote/weather
http://thinkexist.com/quotations/weather/2.html

34 comments:

  1. absolutely right -- too difficult to predict! but the weatherguys sure make us worry, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andi,
    Thanks. I love quotes too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristi,
    Yep, you never know what the weather will do. Grin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. George Carlin & Oscar Wilde are definitely 2 of the most quotable people ever. :)

    Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The weather here has been just bizarre. It's supposed to be 83 today and it was dumping snow last week! Thanks for the perspective. The quotes tell me that all is normal and well! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great quotes. Love the last one.
    Happy T13!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We had snow here a week or so ago too. I'm hoping it was the last, but there's no guarantee.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love # 5 and 6. But they all are true. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love these quotes! Especially #13! I like the idea of bringing your own sunshine wherever you go. But #1 is so true too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ya know how I love quotes and you've included a few of MY personal favorites today ;--)
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  11. Re: #12... Spoken by a man who's never had to spend any winter evenings in Sudbury, Ontario, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The sun JUST CAME OUT after a week of rainy, cloudy skies. I'm so squee over it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. TX weather is crazy! Today it's nice and windy. Happy TT

    ReplyDelete
  14. Rasmenia,
    I like George Carlin & Oscar Wilde a lot too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. On a limb with Claudia,
    Good to know I'm not alone with these weather woes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Adelle,
    I like the idea of bringing my own sunshine too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Alice,
    Yeah, I hope the snow if over for the season too. Thanks for coming by.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Rikki,
    Yeah, 5 and 6 are funny. I enjoy them too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Betty,
    Thanks. Bringing your own sunshine is a neat idea.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am Harriet and storyteller,
    I appreciate your visit and your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Deena,
    I'm squee for sun too, but I like rain and fog and almost everything but cold and snow (currently). I'm tired of winter.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Pamela Kramer,
    You're from Texas? Cool. Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love #6 and #8. Mark Twain is a favorite so I had heard that one before but #8 was a new one to me and is now a favorite as well!

    Our weather in Boston has been freaky lately too. It will be June this weekend which is great but I fear it will go back to being April next week and kill all the blossoms.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great quotes and so appropriate for this year--everyone, no matter where in the US and Canada, seems to be lamenting the weather!

    And thanks for stopping by Sweet Tea and Sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think thats why the weather forecasters never say 100% anything. That way, they cant be wrong;) Happy TT and thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  26. As the person who originally made the comment about weather forecasters, I am flattered to see that amongst this excellent and intriguing selection of quotations, there happens to be one of my own devising!

    Best wishes,

    Patrick Young

    ReplyDelete
  27. DoubleDeckerBusGuy,
    I've never been to Sudbury, Ontario, Canada, but I'll take your word on the winter weather.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Bumbles and Sherilee,
    I'm glad Wisconsin isn't the only place with freaky weather.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Lori,
    I agree. It’s amazing with all our technology that weather continues to trick us.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Patrick,
    You're the first person I've quoted in the blog, who has visited. Thanks. I'm honored to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Whoa! You've had lots of visitors; you should -- this was a fun post.

    I have learned to keep the weather comments in real life to a minimum. It turns out my local weather guy works out at my health club!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I've always loved that George Carlin quote. Great Thursday Thirteen!

    ReplyDelete

 
ja