Thursday, April 30, 2009

Rain, Rain. . . Come again another day!




I may be weird, but I like rain. When my sons were little, we used to don raincoats, umbrellas and boots and go out into the elements. We splashed through puddles, snatched worms and dropped sticks into fast-flowing currents.
Those were good times. Now, when the sky clouds up, I remember those walks. They still make me smile even amid dark clouds and falling drops.
Visiting Websites recently, I found other people who wanted to talk about rain. Some are fond of rain and others just wanted to share a laugh. (What more popular a topic than the weather!)
I hope these quotes will cheer you through the rainy month of April.






1. Let the rain kiss you. Let the rain beat upon your head with silver liquid drops. Let the rain sing you a lullaby. -- Langston Hughes
2. Rain, whose soft architectural hands have power to cut stones, and chisel to shapes of grandeur the very mountains. -- Henry Ward Beecher
And: The best thing one can do when it's raining is to let it rain. -- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
3. It’s best to read the weather forecast before praying for rain. -- Mark Twain
4. Rainbows apologize for angry skies. -- Sylvia Voirol
5. Under my head till morning; but the rainIs full of ghosts tonight, that tap and sigh
Upon the glass and listen for reply. -- Edna St Vincent Millay
6. If I’m on a golf course and lightning starts, I get inside fast. If God wants to play through, let him. -- Bob Hope
7. Anyone who says sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain. -- Author Unknown
8. Rain showers my spirit and waters my soul. -- Emily Logan Decens
9. Some people walk in the rain, others just get wet. -- Roger Miller
10. Many a man curses the rain that falls upon his head, and knows not that it brings abundance to drive away the hunger. -- Saint Basil
11. There's always a period of curious fear between the first sweet-smelling breeze and the time when the rain comes cracking down. -- Don Delillo
12. The best kind of rain, of course, is a cozy rain. This is the kind the anonymous medieval poet makes me remember, the rain that falls on a day when you'd just as soon stay in bed a little longer, write letters or read a good book by the fire, take early tea with hot scones and jam, and look out the streaked window with complacency. -- Susan Allen Toth
13. There will be a rain dance Friday night, weather permitting. -- George Carlin




How about you? How does rain make you feel? Do you like rain? Hate rain? Do you have any fond memories of rainstorms? Drop me line. I’m looking forward to hearing from you.








36 comments:

  1. Great list especially since it's supposed to be a rainy day here today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kinda like rain too, preferably when I'm not out in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm living that rain thing to...

    ReplyDelete
  4. DrillerAA,
    It's raining here in Milwaukee too. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lori,
    Yeah, great minds think alike. Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am Harriet,
    Thanks. It's fun to find others who like what you like.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I live in the Pacific Northwest, where we get a lot less rain than people think. Still, we have enough that things are green year-round, which makes the outdoors beautiful! I think the quote from Susan Allen Toth is my favorite. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love when the rain sings me a lullaby :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful list of quotes about rain! I love the wet stuph too but we sure haven't had much fall this year here in Southern California. I wish you could send some of it our way ;--)
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  10. Living in a northern temperate rain forest, in a marine-influenced environment, we get a lot of rain. It's rained for over 48 hours straight on more than one occasion--high wind, heavy sideways rain. Amazing how much water the sky can hold and then release. But it gives us a good excuse to stay inside, cuddled up with hot drinks and our favorite books ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome timing, Brenda, as it's raining here today! Although I didn't like it much as a kid, now it doesn't bother me. In fact, I like the odd looks I get when I throw on a raincoat and go about whatever I'm doing like it's no big deal...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this list! I wish it would rain here. We've still been getting bits of snow this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jen,
    The rumor is it rains all the time where you live. Grin.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Janet,
    That's one of my favorites too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. storyteller,
    If I could send you rain, I would. Take Care.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cathy in AK,
    I would not have guessed you get so much rain. Alaska is a place I don't really know much about. I'd like to visit sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Susan,
    Yes, it's fun to go out in the rain. Thanks for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Andi,
    It's snowing where you are? Wow. I hope it gets warmer for you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the rain -- and so do the kids -- but I swear I need windshield wipers for my glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love numbers 9 and 12! Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Okay, you worked in George Carlin... I'm absolutely a happy man! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ella,
    Yep, it's hard to wear glasses in the rain. Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Tracey,
    Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  24. DoubleDeckerBusGuy,
    I'm glad I could make you happy. I like George Carlin too.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the Langston Hughes and Saint Basil ones. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  26. All I can think of is "Rain Rain go away Come again another day" and Rainy Day Man by James Taylor.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ahhh - #12 sums it up perfectly for me. Because when it comes to #9, I'm the one getting wet.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love rain -- and thunderstorms -- so long as they come in moderation.

    ReplyDelete
  29. what a great list-love the one by George Carlin! we love the rain too-my son loves to run in the puddles and play in the mud!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beautiful!
    I've always loved walking in summer rain. Thanks for the quotes - and the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  31. All Rileyed Up,
    Langston Hughes is a favorite poet of mine. I'm glad you liked his quote on rain.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Colleen,
    Yeah, now that you mention it, the song's playing in my mind too.

    ReplyDelete
  33. The Bumbles,
    I'm glad you found some quotes to identify with. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Heather,
    I love the rain too.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Cindy,
    Ah, it's nice to hear from another mom who has a mud-playing son. Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Grandmother Wren,
    Maybe we'll meet someday, when we're both walking in the rain.

    ReplyDelete

 
ja