Friday, April 3, 2009

Dream Big!

I’ve loved to write from as far back as I was able to put pencil to paper, but for most of my life, being a published author was just a dream I kept mostly to myself. I had some success getting short pieces published, but deep down it was the dream of a book with my name on the cover that burned heavy in my gut. Toward the end of 2007, after years of hard work and rejection, Samhain Publishing offered me a contract. In May of 2008, Shadows of Evil was published as an ebook, and my dream came true.

Still, it wasn’t until just a few weeks ago that I actually held that dream in my hands. That’s when I got my author copies of Shadows. Last Tuesday, March 31, the print edition of Shadows of Evil became available online at places like My Bookstore and More, Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and for order at your local bookstore.

My dream became a reality.

Working with Samhain Publishing is a wonderful experience. Some of my friends have had less than stellar experiences with New York publishers, and I am thankful things worked out the way they did for me. I am where I need to be in my career. Where I go next is still to be determined.

Writing is a long, hard road, and there are choices at every turn. It’s tempting to focus on the money aspect of publishing—frequently to the detriment of our fragile writer’s hearts and souls. While money is important, there are other considerations. A wise businessperson understands that.

Each of us is captain of our own career-ship. Each of us has to decide the things that are the most important to us at each stage of our careers. Each of us has the freedom to do just that.

And that’s the best part of this crazy, wonderful writing gig.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats Cheryel. That's gotta be an awesome feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm so excited for you! Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wise words if I've ever heard them. When you choose to go somewhere other than NY, you learn who your friends are, and (sadly) who they aren't. I got dumped by a critique partner.

    But I don't regret my choice for a second. I sold my first to Loose-ID and my second to Samhain and my experiences have been awesome (See you in SamHellion land)

    Your cover is absolutely stunning.

    ReplyDelete

 
ja