Friday, March 13, 2009

To Twitter Or Not To Twitter, That Is The Question

Help! I’m being dragged into the 21st Century.

First there was the whole computer thing, and learning to use Word (and that magical spell-check!). Then there was the culture shock of email. Eventually I was convinced to start a blog as a place to vent about both medical issues and my writing. I was surprised that I met so many fantastic people and enjoyed blogging so much. And when I discovered the amazing amount of publishing information out there, I felt I’d found the treasure at the end of the rainbow! Until I realized there was more than I could ever hope to keep up with.

Then I sold a novel. "You have to have a MySpace," I was told. And a Facebook. I fought it for a time, but it wasn’t long before I gave in. And again I was blown away by the variety of people I met there. It was great. I love it—maybe too much.

Now there’s Twitter. Yeah, I know it’s been around for a while, but I’ve been staunchly standing with my head buried firmly in the sand. Why? Because I am the queen of wasting time on the Internet. In fact, it seems the more behind I am, the stronger my desire to put random subjects in Google and get lost in a meandering search. Adding one more thing to take up my time just seemed counterproductive.

The temptation is just too great, though. Too much going on that I’m missing. An opportunity to meet more people. A way to do a bit more promo. A place to learn more about readers, writers, and the publishing world. I’m getting pulled in…closer…closer…

Okay, I’ll admit it. I love this Internet stuff. The problem is that I love writing more than anything except my family and friends (well most of the family anyway). It’s hard to do both and still have time for…what’s it called…oh yeah…

Life!



Meet you on Twitter.

3 comments:

  1. LOL! I'd love to see you on twitter! I'm starbytes there, do add me! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you haven't started doing it yet, resist as much as possible (IMO). I suckered into too many of these things and they're a time sink, but once you start it's hard to stop because you feel like a quitter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just started messing around on Twitter and must confess, I still don't understand how it works. Must be showing my age. Face Book and MySpace? Not going there unless the powers that be (aka a future editor or agent) make me.

    ReplyDelete

 
ja