Friday, February 13, 2009

Why I Love Writing


1. The commute. Come rain, ice, or middle of the night, to get to my writing space all I have to do is go down the hall. Of course, that also means no excuses.

2. Being someone else. I don’t have to be the slightly shy grandmother from a tiny Southern town. I can be a kick-butt heroine taking out bad guys, I can be a genius scientist making discoveries that will change the world, or I can be an evil villain plotting the downfall of the civilized world. The limit is my imagination, and I have a very interesting imagination.

3. Talking with imaginary people. My characters not only talk to me, they demand I tell their stories. And they are fascinating people. Strong, quirky, odd, beautiful, evil—they can be any of those things. I have a little too much fun sometimes.

4. Reading for research. Curled up with a cup of tea, a good book in my hand. I dare you to question my "laziness" I have to keep up with what’s being published. I have to see what makes a bestseller a bestseller. Yes, I love reading. Don’t you enjoy your work?

5. Cheap therapy. I’ve found out an amazing amount of things about myself while writing, the latest being that I hold my emotions inside—to the point where I didn’t allow my characters to let their emotions out either. While writing isn’t a substitute for needed psychological therapy, it’s a big help for a lot of folks.

6. No time clock. I write when I want, on my own schedule. It’s possible to write around a day job, small children, and other responsibilities. For someone like me, who has a chronic illness, writing allows for taking bad days off, for working shorter hours when need be, and for putting in more hours when good days happen. I like to take "grandchildren days" and go play with mine.

7. Dress code. Actually, the lack thereof. Writers Digest Magazine had "write naked" T-shirts available at one time (I haven’t seen a WD lately, so I can’t say if they still do). While I doubt many writers actually write in the nude, most are quite comfortable while they're working. Personally, I wear sweat pants and T-shirts that are one step up from pajamas. Helps the muse, you know.

8. The world is my office. Whether using paper and pen, Alphasmart, or my laptop, I’m not confined to one small space. I can write in the living room, out on the porch, at the library, at restaurants, wherever. Getting out of the house staves off boredom and feeds the muse. Win/win.

9. Meet wonderful people. It’s not only my characters who make my life more interesting. I’ve met my closest friends through this writing gig. I guess it’s true, only a writer can truly understand another writer.

10. Getting published. Get ready for some shameless self-promotion: My novella, Keepers of Legend, was released on Wednesday from The Wild Rose Press. Yes, I’m ecstatic!

Here’s a blurb:
Deep in the Smoky Mountains a strange creature sweeps through the air and captures the imagination. It looks like a dragon, but is it? Jessica Knight has her doubts, but can she protect the amazing animal long enough to discover the truth?
For an excerpt, go here.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

5 comments:

  1. Kudos on your new book! And I agree with your list on the fun parts of being a writer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheryel,
    Congrats on the release of your book! Nothing feels quite like it. Yaaaay!

    Francesca

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the book! The excerpt sounds exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your latest release!

    Jody W.

    ReplyDelete

 
ja