Thursday, February 19, 2009

How Well Do You Know Your Presidents?

picture from http://www.blackhillsportal.com/cnt/files/Image/News_Photo/Mount_rushmore__1.jpg



Monday, February 16th, was President’s Day -- a day we honor and reflect on our Presidents. But how well do you know these men who served and are serving as President?
What key facts do we remember? If you’re like me, not so many.
To remedy that situation, I did a little Web research and came up with a multiple-choice quiz. In all but one case, only one of the answers is correct.
Are you ready?
Header from samulli






How Well Do You Know Your Presidents?

1. Barack Obama is the 44th President of the United States, right? How many presidents have served before him? (This is a tricky question.) 42, 43 or 44?





2. How old do you have to be to run for president? 35, 21, or 40?





3. The youngest president was/is … Barack Obama, John F. Kennedy, Teddy Roosevelt?





4. Who was the oldest president ever to hold the office? Abraham Lincoln, John McCain, Ronald Reagan?





5. Most of the United States Presidents list religious affiliation as … Catholic, Episcopalian, Presbyterian.





6. The tallest president was 6 feet, 4 inches. He was: Ronald Reagan, Abe Lincoln or Barack Obama?





7. The shortest president was 5 feet and 4 inches. He was: Rutherford B. Hayes, Gerald Ford, James Madison?





8. Fourteen presidents -- John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, Martin Van Buren, John Tyler, Millard Fillmore, Andrew Johnson, Chester Arthur, Teddy Roosevelt, Calvin Coolidge, Harry Truman, Richard Nixon, Lyndon Johnson, Gerald Ford and George H. W. Bush (the first Bush) -- all had the same job before being elected as president. What was that job? Vice President, Speaker of the House, Senator?





9. Which president never married? Bill Clinton, James Buchanan, Chester Arthur?





10.Who is the only president to be divorced? Richard Nixon, Calvin Coolidge, Ronald Reagan?





11. You may see portraits of Abraham Lincoln, Thomas Jefferson, George Washington, John F. Kennedy, Dwight D. Eisenhower and Franklin D. Roosevelt in your daily life. Why? You like to read about presidents? They’re all on U. S. coins? You surf the Internet a lot so you’re sure to see presidents eventually?





12. Who are the only presidents to sign the Declaration of Independence? Thomas Jefferson and John Adams, Martin Van Buren and William Harrison, George Washington and Andrew Jackson?




13. This president took the term pet-lover to the limit. Here’s a list of his pets: 13 dogs, 3 canaries, 3 cats; 3 raccoons, a donkey; a bobcat, a thrush; a goose; a mockingbird; a bear; an antelope; a wallaby; a pygmy hippo; and some lion cubs. This president was: Teddy Roosevelt, Calvin Coolidge, Jimmy Carter.




Please make your guesses in the Comments. I’ll tell you if you’re right and then at the end of the day, I’ll give you all the answers. Thanks for playing.









34 comments:

  1. 1. 42

    2. 35

    3. Teddy R.

    4. Ron Reagan

    5. Abe Lincoln

    6. Presbyterian

    7. James Madison

    8. V.P and Senator?

    9. Buchanan

    10. Ron Reagan

    11. God I hope so! They’re all on MONEY!

    12. Jefferson and Adams

    13. Teddy Roosevelt

    How'd I do?

    Talia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talia,
    Way to go. You're right on a lot of these, but because it's early, I'm going to wait before I tell you which ones. You're really clever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I'm not even going to try to embarrass myself. ;) government class was a long time ago. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm Canadian... so I do get a "pass" (as in, outside my true scope,) on this I hope...

    I've always LOVED stumping people with the question, which is WHO was the FIRST President of the United States?... which of course, as everyone knows, is John Hanson.

    Don't believe me? Look it up!

    George Washington was the first to be elected under the constitution, but in 1781, under the ratified articles of Confederation, they appointed John Hanson as President... then a year later they appointed Samuel Huntington, then it was Thomas McKean... making George the fourth president.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay Carmen, I'll let you off. Thanks for coming by.

    ReplyDelete
  6. DoubleDeckerBusGuy,
    Hey, I didn't know about John Hanson or I didn't remember from High School Social Studies. You taught me something. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woohoo! You have coffee on - I'm definitely stopping by more often! Answers:
    1. 42
    2. 35
    3. John F. Kennedy
    4. Ronald Reagan
    5. Presbyterian
    6. Abe Lincoln
    7. James Madison
    8. Vice President
    9. Chester A. Arthur
    10. Ronald Reagan
    11. They're all on U.S. coins.
    12. Jefferson and Adams
    13. Teddy Roosevelt

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1. 42
    2. 35
    3. John F. Kennedy
    4. Ronald Reagan
    5. Episcopalian
    6. Abe Lincoln
    7. Rutherford B. Hayes
    8. Vice President
    9. James Buchanan
    10. Ronald Reagan
    11. They’re all on U. S. coins
    12. Thomas Jefferson and John Adams
    13. Teddy Roosevelt

    How'd I do?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chameleon,
    Thanks, you've got most of the answers right! You need to guess again for numbers 3,5, 9 and 13. I'll post all the answers at the end of the day. But you've impressed me. You really do know your presidents.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Janet, Wow, you've got all the answers but 3, 7 and 9 absolutely correct! Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have to admit being Canadian I know very little about your presidents but I enjoyed your blog just the same.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Without looking anything up, here goes...
    1. 43
    2. 35
    3. JFK
    4. Reagan
    5. Presbyterian
    6. Lincoln
    7. Hayes
    8. Senator
    9. Buchanan
    10. Reagan
    11. coins
    12. Jefferson & Adams
    13. Roosevelt

    ReplyDelete
  13. Debbie,
    You did well. You got more than half right. You need to try again on 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, and 13. Thanks for playing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great TT, if I had not been up all night I would totally try this...

    ReplyDelete
  15. 1.42
    2.35
    3.Theodore Roosevelt
    4.Ronald Reagan
    5.Abe Lincoln
    6.Presbyterian
    7.Madison
    8.Vice President
    9.Buchanan
    10.Reagan
    11.They are all on money
    12.Jefferson and Adams
    13.Roosevelt

    ReplyDelete
  16. 1.42
    2.35
    3. Teddy Roosevelt
    4. Ronald Regan
    5. Abe Lincoln
    6. Presbyterian
    7. Madison
    8.V.P
    9. Arthur
    10. Reagan
    11. us coins
    12.Jefferson/Adams
    13. Teddy Roosevelt

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pfew, too difficult for me. Very interesting to learn though!
    Thanks for visiting my TT.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a great TT. I'm not enough of a trivia buff to attempt to answer but I really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. ScrappinGal,
    You've done really well. Most of your answers are right. Only 5, 6 and 13 aren't. Thanks for playing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lazy Daisy,
    You're good. You've gotten all answers except for 5, 9 and 13. I bet you were an A student. Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier, great questions, which I'm not even going to try to answer. (especially since I'm late enough getting here that you've already given the answers in the comments)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Becky68,
    I haven't given all the answers. No one has gotten 13 right yet, but I do appreciate you stoppping by.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ooooo! I love quizes.

    1. 42
    2. 35
    3. teddy roosevelt
    4. ronald reagan
    5. presbyterian
    6. Abe lincoln
    7. james madison
    8. VP
    9. james buchanan
    10. ronald reagan
    11. coins
    12. jefferson and adams
    13. calvin coolidge

    I only had to gues on a couple. for some reason, I actually knew most of these.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow Mary,
    You do know your presidents! According to my sources you've got them all, but number 5 right. I'm impressed. Thanks for playing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Dude, I'm so not functioning in the sphere now. Instead I'm sending the kids here lol

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi all,
    Here are the answers to the How Well Do You Know Your Presidents? Quiz

    1.Actually there have only been 42 presidents. Cleveland served nonconsecutive terms, as our 22nd and 24th president. He gets counted twice.

    2.You have to be at least 35 years of age.

    3.Most of the Presidents list their religious affiliation as Episcopalian.

    4.Teddy Roosevelt was the youngest president who began serving at the age of 42. He became president after McKinley was assassinated. JFK was 43 when he was elected. Barack is 47.

    5.Ronald Reagan was 69 when he took the office of President.

    6.The tallest president was Abraham Lincoln.

    7.James Madison was the shortest president.

    8.They were all Vice Presidents.

    9.James Buchanan, our 15th president, never married.

    10.Ronald Reagan was the only president to be divorced.

    11.Although each suggested answer may be correct. All these Presidents are on U. S. coins.

    12.Thomas Jefferson and John Adams signed the Declaration of Independence.

    13.This pet-loving president was Calvin Coolidge.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great quiz, Brenda! I tried playing along earlier today, but had trouble commenting.

    Thanks for visiting my blog!
    http://wordtrix.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm late and you've already given the correct answers. But I just had to say, #9 made me laugh, if only because Bill Clinton certainly acted like he was single (smile).

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hm, since I didn't know the answer to a single one of these questions I don't seem to know all that much about my presidents.
    Luckily they are not my presidents at all, since I am german, so I guess that's not too bad. Unfortunately I don't know the answers to the german equivalents of these questions either. :) Ah well...

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hey Lori,
    I'm glad you liked the question about single Presidents with Bill Clinton as a possible answer. I actually have a question about him in my next Thursday Thirteen-Guess the President. I hope you'll come back for that.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Samilli,
    I'm just glad you came to visit. I appreciate you making all the Thursday Thirteen headers for us.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great job, Brenda!
    1. 43
    2. 21
    3. Kennedy, 4 Reagan 5 Episcopal 6 Lincoln 7 Madison 8 Senator 9 Chester Arthur?? 10 Coolige 11 on coins or dollars, 12 Jefferson & Adams, 13 Roosevelt

    ReplyDelete

 
ja