Wednesday, February 4, 2009

5 Favorite Beverages for Writing

Here at the Diner this week and next, we have been (and will be) talking about favorites -- favorite books, favorite movies, and how these favorites affect our writing. I'm going to do a quick, snack-style post about my 5 favorite beverages for WHILE I'm writing.

1) Coffee

In the morning, I can't wait to sip the delicious nectar of the Columbian gods and infuse my body with the creative spirits of caffeine and more caffeine. I have writing to do and not much time to do it in! I have one cup, then maybe another, then....

2) Soda

At lunchtime or thereabouts, depending on what I had for breakfast, I like to enjoy an ice cold coke. Here in the South, they're ALL cokes, and then you decide what kind of coke you want. Coca Cola, Pepsi, Dr. Pepper... For me my favorite is the Coca Cola Classic, but I try to have sugar free sodas more frequently than the 140 calorie ones. Colas also have more caffeine, which helps keep my will to write alive in the face of great odds (that usually consist of toddlers and other disasters).

3) Tummy Tea

By mid-afternoon, I'm feeling a little squiffy after overdoing it with coffee and soda, both pretty harsh on the ole tum. So I tend to make myself a hot cup of Yogi's Stomach Ease tea, which contains anise, peppermint, ginger and a few other things that tamp down on the nausea that too many sodas and cups of coffee can cause. This is also a difficult time for productivity, because I don't feel so hot (I know, I do it to myself nearly every day!) and because the toddler is ready for some attention.

4) Water

When the cup of Stomach Ease doesn't quite do the trick, or even if it does, I feel guilty for drinking all that unhealthy crap. So daily I will try to dilute it by downing a liter or two of delicious (not really) water. You're supposed to have 8 cups a day or something like that. Then my writing gets interrupted a lot when I have to get up and have a pee.

5) Sleepytime Tea

Last but not least, night falls. Yet the caffeine I overindulged in is still buzzing through my body and my brain refuses to switch off, even though my body is as saggy as...well, as my body! So I return to my tea stash and brew up a cup of Yogi's Sleepytime tea, with chamomile and a few other mild herbs that relax me and help me wind down after what I hope was a day of high wordcount and much creativity.

So those are my 5 favorite beverages to write by. What about you?

Jody W.
http://www.jodywallace.com/

4 comments:

  1. I've never heard of the tummy tea! I'll have to look for that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a big fan of Sleepy Time tea and a hot bath before bed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coffe, black tea of some kind (gotta keep the caffeine level up but cut the acid in the tum), water, a soda once in a while....Only four come to mind.

    I'll have to give the Tummy Tea a try too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the AM it's Twinings Irish Breakfast Tea.

    During the day it's water.

    At night it's Lipton's Cinnamon Apple tea with a bit of honey.

    Talia

    ReplyDelete

 
ja