Thursday, January 8, 2009

Resolutions for the Resolute



Welcome 2009! It’s a whole new year with lots of possibilities for change and new opportunities to explore.

Of course, many people use the New Year to make resolutions. The Free Dictionary (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/) defines resolutions as: “A course of action determined or decided on.”

I think of resolutions as goals for change or improvement.

Are you like me and do you make resolutions? Is there something you badly want to change? Or new endeavors to attempt? Perhaps to lose a few pounds? Or to begin a new career? Maybe to start your own blog?
In the process, do you wonder what others are hoping to change this year? I did a Web search looking for that very answer and found 13 common resolutions at www.usa.gov and http://pittsburgh.about.com/.






Thirteen Resolutions for the Resolute


1. Lose Weight
2. Get out of Debt
3. Get Better Organized
4. Find a Better Job
5. Save Money
6. Learn Something New
7. Eat Right
8. Get Fit
9. Spend more Time with Family and Friends
10. Quit Smoking
11. Reduce Stress
12. Take a Trip or Vacation
13. Help Others

OK, I’m curious: Did you make any 2009 resolutions? Did they involve the Big Thirteen or something else?
What about me? Well, I plan to make sure I take a “Me Day” now and then, an idea I found at www.womansday.com/Articles/Family-Lifestyle/Holidays/Ring-In-The-New-You.html (WomansDay.com/20NewYearsResolutions)
Woman’s Day has some excellent suggestions it touts as 20 “feel-good resolutions” you can actually keep. Just the kind I’m looking for. Other resolutions the Website lists include: swapping CDs with your teen. And make your kids laugh.

I’d love to hear what resolutions you’ve made -- or whether you make resolutions at all. I’m listening. …





24 comments:

  1. I'm trying to quit smoking. It's a nasty habit and I can't stand the smell of smoke. It helps that we don't smoke in the house or around or little one. Hopefully this year I will accomplish my goal. It's great that you are still participating in Thursday 13 even though the site is no more. Happy TT to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm so tired of failure. this year my resolutions are no fail!
    1) i will eat more and therefore not lost weight
    2) i will clean less and remain a disorganized slob

    so there! lol
    happy tt...mine's up too, at the lost world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well... I hate to say this, but my ACTUAL New Years Resolution is kinda boring... lose weight... BUT... I did do a TT last week where I listed my other resolutions!
    http://doubledeckerbuses.org/blog/index.php/2009/01/01/

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't really make any resolutions this year... Not because I didn't want to, but I just haven't had the time to sit down and think about it. LOL! Maybe I'll think of something soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a resolution kind of a girl, and while they aren't all on my list, I'd like to do #s 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 9, 11, 12, & 13.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh boy, That's a lot. There's no way I could take on so many big ones. I'm going to go with the resolution that I will keep led in all my mechanical pencils. That's tough enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't do resolutions. Sometimes just getting out of bed is an accomplishment in itself. :) I prefer to just try to do small things until they add up to big things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not playing TT this week, but you've inspired me to do so next week :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are popular for a reason - they're important, and HARD. Happy New Year Brenda!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Every year I vow to get more organized. I mean, I'm a librarian for goodness sake.

    Ah well. Here's to trying again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sue,
    I'm glad you're not giving up on the Thursday Thirteen.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gwen,
    You're right. Changing your life is hard.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I didn't make resolutions, but if I would they'd be on your list. :)
    Thanks for visiting my TT!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I sort of set some goals. Nothing concrete as "I need to change this," but more directions I want to go in. I've tried it both ways, and this one seems to be more satisfying in the end. Failure is always discouraging!
    tm

    ReplyDelete
  15. 1. Lose Weight - already doing it
    2. Get out of Debt - ditto
    3. Get Better Organized - NEVER happen
    4. Find a Better Job - I like the one I have
    5. Save Money - Do that
    6. Learn Something New - always!
    7. Eat Right - see #1
    8. Get Fit - see #1
    9. Spend more Time with Family and Friends - see #1
    10. Quit Smoking - gross, never did it
    11. Reduce Stress - I don't stress, usually
    12. Take a Trip or Vacation - plan on it!
    13. Help Others - see #1

    The only resolution I made was to "enjoy".

    ReplyDelete
  16. No real resolutions, just a few goals. Quite a few are related in some way to your list.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well - I didn't make any this year. But in the last 2 years I quit smoking, started exercising, lost (and kept off) weight, cut caffeine out of my diet except for weekend mornings, made my diet more nutritious, and had an addition completed on our house! I deserve a year free of resolutions - I resolve to sleep more.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Heh! I'm all for reducing the stress in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  19. start small...everything is attainable.

    Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  20. A great list! I don't really do News Year's Resolutions anymore but I do hope to stay sane as a mother or a newborn and I want to get back into shape ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Uh, that should be as a mother OF a newborn

    ReplyDelete
  22. Junebug,
    Don't sweat it. As a mother of a newborn, you have your hands wonderfully full. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great list. And challenging. I think for me the goal will be to get out of debt and get better organized. I think they somehow go hand-in-hand.

    Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete

 
ja