Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Pizza! Pizza!

When we at the diner began talking up pies, I wasn't thinking apple, pumpkin or pecan but...PIZZA!



That's right! Pizza besides being delish and nutrish has been around in one incarnation or another for a very long time. Although associated with Italy,you can trace it's roots back to Greece and even further. But the more modern version of this ancient food dates back to 1889 when Queen Margherita toured her country and saw locals Napolitanos (people from the city of Naples) munching down the local cuisine of flat bread rubbed with olive oil and herbs. When the queen requested a taste, she loved it! And who wouldn't?



Local pizza chef, Rafaelle Esposito, was summoned to court where he concocted the first "modern" pizza, topping the dough with tomatoes, mozerella cheese and basil leaves representing the colors of the Italian flag. Brava! Fantastica!



Pizza migrated to the new world with great immigration of Italians who entered this country at the turn of the 20th century but the foodstuff entered the American culture after World War II. All those hungry American soldiers who brought their stomachs to Italy when they liberated it, brought back to America their yearning for pizza.



Today, on average, Americans eat 23 lbs of pizza per person, per year. That's a lotta Pizza! Pizza! There is even a National Pizza Day celebrated on February 9th. In my town, Valentine's Day is a huge pizza day where a local pizzeria offers a balloon and heart-shaped pies to patrons.



So, are you a thick or thin crust lover? Meat or veggie? Regular or white?



Talia

7 comments:

  1. Mmmm....pizza..... Had I known when I moved out of the NY area many years ago how difficult it was going to be to find *real* pizza, I may have chosen to stay. (Man, that would have put me on a way different life course.)

    I suffered for years, almost two decades, before finding the closest thing to NY thin crust--so you can fold it the right way--and the proper flavor of sauce. In small town Alaska, mind you. Then we moved to an even smaller town and I feared my pizza loving days were gone. But by some miracle, a couple from the East coast lived here and opened an authentic pizza place. Well, the pizza is authentic if the place itself isn't. If you're ever in the neighborhood we'll order up a few pies.

    My fave: Thin crust, red sauce, extra cheese, pepperoni and mushrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For health I have super thin crust veggie pizza that's light on the cheese. For taste I love thick pizza with lots of cheese and veggies plus pepperoni :).

    Jody W.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes Cathy! I agree. You can keep Chicago deep dish. You need that thin crust and delish sauce with the right amount of basil.

    Talia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jodi, that is just one of the wonderful things about pizza...you can make it very healthy. In my town, not only can you get a delish pizza with whole wheat crust, my hubby (who has Celiac Disease) can get gluten-free pizza!

    Load it up with veggies and use low fat cheese and it's health and heart happy.

    Talia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brenda, I think there is a day for everything. Pizza day falls 2 days before my birthday. I think there's a connection there.

    LOL!

    Talia

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love pizza! Thin crust all the way. My favorite toppings are extra tomato sauce and cheese. When I want to get wild I'll get mushrooms and onions or fresh garlic as toppings. Yum...Yum....

    ReplyDelete

 
ja