Sunday, January 11, 2009

New Year means New Beginnings

Every year, I think about beginnings - new beginnings, whether it be relationships, jobs or, more particularly, writing.

One of my favorite book openings is from Jim Butcher's BLOOD RITES - "The building was on fire, and it wasn't my fault."

With a good beginning, or hook, you have the first building block of a good book. It's a foundation to build on, to keep your readers (or editor) turning pages as you live up to the promise of that fantastic opening.

One thing some writers don't seem to understand, though, is the hook isn't just for the first chapter. Every chapter should begin with a hook to keep your reader wanting more, wanting to find out what happens next. And the end of each chapter should end with a cliffhanger, just like the ones they leave us with at the season ending of our favorite shows. I know I can't wait to find out what happens to Dean and Sam Winchester when Supernatural begins this coming Thursday.

So beginnings - and New Years - are important. They are important in your life, and important in your writing. Let go of last year, rejections, writers block, whatever's holding you back, and begin your writing year with a bang!

And keep writing!

1 comment:

  1. I have to finish my incomplete 2008 projects before I can start my new 2009 ones *hehehe*

    Jody W.

    ReplyDelete

 
ja