Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Goals Achieved: Today is Release Day!

One year ago today, my partial was in the hands of an editor at Ellora's Cave. I hadn't yet heard whether they would even want to read the whole thing, let alone that they might offer a contract. What a difference a year makes!


My goals last year included contracting Protect and Defend, but it was still a dream. I am proof positive that dreams made and goals set CAN happen. Now, I'm not saying I have the key to this stuff. Not even close. This year I have the same goal as last...to sell my manuscript to a publisher. Different manuscript, same publisher. Keep your fingers crossed.


Today almost feels surreal...until I go to the new Ellora's Cave web site. On the front page, my book is listed as "Just released in e-book" and when you click on my book, there is a BUY button on the page. Wow. I mean totally...wow.


I'm excited and happy that my book is available to the public. It proved to me that persistance pays off. I'd about exhausted my avenues with P&D, sure that nothing would happen. I was feeling discouraged. Then I had the request for a full in late January. Suddenly, the excitement returned. Excitement about my writing. About the future. About pretty much everything.


What I've learned in 2008 is that goals are only half the battle. Persistance is the other half. You have to work and hope and believe in order to make things happen. I thought I knew that last year, but those rejections start to wear on you. Tough things happen in life. You feel down. I know I did.


One thing that really helped me was when I attended the RWA National writers conference in July 2007. I attended a PRO workshop and heard Sherrilyn Kenyon speak. She is one of my all time heroines. I love her books and after meeting her and hearing her story, I love her too. She told the story of her bumpy ride to publication and I was inspired. So when you find yourself feeling low, go to her Web site to read her story. I reread it before posting here and just like usual it made me cry, but it gave me hope too. Just remember fellow writers, Ms. Kenyon is a multi-published best selling author now. It can happen to any of us.


And I also want to say, when I grow up I want to be just like her!


Happy release day everyone!

6 comments:

  1. Kudos Francesca! You inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your EC release, Francesca!

    Hugs,

    jan, a fellow ECer :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting, Brenda and Jan. It's a really exciting day. A friend sent me her receipt so I know I sold at least one book today. It was sooooo sweet.

    Francesca

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so amazing that we here at the Diner have gotten to watch you go through this process, too :). Congrats!

    Jody W.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just downloaded my copy. Can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the support Jody and thanks for buying the book Lori! You guys are super!

    Francesca

    ReplyDelete

 
ja