Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Freaky Deaky Caramel Pie

There are 3 kinds of basic caramel pie in this world. Okay, 4 kinds.

1) The kind you buy at a store or restaurant.
2) The kind you make from scratch, with butter, sugar, milk and eggs.
3) The kind you make from melted caramel candies.
4) The kind that freaks you out while it's cooking but tastes so darn good you don't want to share it.

I think you can guess which kind I'm going to talk about!

The recipe is simple but a bit time consuming. Here's what you need:

2 cans Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk
1 ready made graham cracker or Oreo pie crust
whipped cream topping

Here's what you do with your ingredients:

Boil the cans of sweetened condensed milk in pot for three hours. Make sure the water always covers both cans. After three hours take cans out of pan. Use tongs! Let them cool a bit, about thirty minutes. Open cans and pour/spoon into pie crust. Top with whipped cream. You can also sprinkle mini semi-sweet chocolate chips or Oreo crumbs on there if you want to get fancy.

A trick to remember: if you open the cans right when you get them out of the water, they may spew. If you let them cool for too long, the caramel will get pretty hard in the can and you'll have to scoop the caramel out, resulting in a lumpy pie.

My husband is the one in our family who makes this pie. Man, it's good. It's so sweet it hurts your mouth, but in a good way.

And seriously. That's how you do it, you just boil the cans! This is a great one to make when you have company and they've never seen caramel made this way. When you start boiling those cans without even opening them... Yeah, it's pretty funny.

Enjoy!

Jody W.
www.jodywallace.com

3 comments:

  1. I so have to try this. I'll ask my kids to help and watch their eyes grow wide when I tell them to just put the whole can in the pot. Heheheh. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a caramel fan. When I lived in Egypt and we couldn't get caramel we used to boil cans of sweetened condensed milk. It really does make delightful caramel. You've inspired me. I think I'll look for a can to boil up. Maybe even try this pie recipe. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds totally yummy. I may have to give it a try.

    Francesca

    ReplyDelete

 
ja