Sunday, January 25, 2009

Four and twenty blackbirds ...

I love blackberries, even in the dead of winter, and we are lucky we can buy fruit that was picked fresh this summer and frozen. When I make blackberry pies, I remember the warmth of summer and the lush grass and cool water and everything renewed from the cold earth.

The beginning of each year leads to resolutions and the hope of bigger and better things. Writing gives us a way to make things grow and become, to make us better people and make the world a better place.

I want to share my favorite recipe with you. The original called for making your own pie crust, which I'm not very good at, so I adapted it to suit myself. I use wonton wrappers, scoop a spoonful of filling in and either bake (with egg wash) or deep fry, then sprinkle with powdered sugar. So basically, all you need is the filling to go inside :)

Blackberry Filling:

* 1/4 all-purpose flour
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 4 cups fresh blackberries
* 1/8 teaspoon almond extract

Combine ingredients and stir gently until evenly coated. Spoon onto wonton wrapper and fold over, moistening the edges with water or butter. Drop into hot oil and fry until golden brown. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with powdered sugar while still warm.

Give these a try. They're a perfect bite for appetizers or to snack on while you're working on that writing you're supposed to be doing right now!
Jeannie

2 comments:

  1. This sounds very clever. Do you think it would work with other fillings?

    Jody

    ReplyDelete

 
ja