Monday, January 12, 2009

The Best Laid Plans – Not

When I left you last week, my big goal for 2009 was to speed up my writing productivity. I wanted to type 1000 words or more per day (whether they ended up manuscript-worthy or not), 5 days a week. So how did I do?

*hangs head in shame* I tried. I really tried. The kids were back in school after a 2 week Christmas break, the parents and other various visiting relations were gone, and the hubby was back at work after a week of vacation. I finally had the house to myself and armed with the best of intentions, I met my goal for Monday. Yeah! Then life got in the way--in the 5’9” form of my husband.

You see, the love of my life--who’s idea of exercise is 18 holes of golf every Sunday--forgot that he’s 46 and not 26 and tried to play racquetball for the first time since our 9 year old daughter was born with 2 guys who play regularly every week. The result? He comes limping in Monday night and the words “I think I tore my Achilles tendon” tumbled from his mouth. Visions of surgery and weeks of recuperation and physical therapy blew my writing plans right out of the water. Thankfully, it doesn’t seem to be that bad after all, just a really bad calf pull. But Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday were filled with chauffeuring him to doctor visits, alternating ice packs and heating pads, fetching meds, not to mention “I’m hungry, can you get me a snack?” “Hey babe, can you get me a beer?” Or “I’m chilly, can you bring in a load of wood and start a fire?” He’s like having a third child.

So he’s back a work now (thank heavens), still hobbling on crutches. Here’s hoping this week will be more productive and less injury-prone than last week. *sigh*

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I KNOW how that goes. Oftentimes if I set a work day way in advance, it guarantees somebody is gonna get sick.

    Jody W.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, oh man!!! Been there, done that. Adult males make crummy patients (sorry guys). OTOH, I have been sick as a dog and STILL managed 4 tubs of laundry, cleaning, and childcare duties. Sure, I could lie down but I would have a little person at the end of the bed asking for juice/milk/Little Bear.

    (((Lori)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can only do what you can do. I hope your husband feels better and you can indeed get time for your writing.

    ReplyDelete

 
ja