Thursday, December 4, 2008

Thirteen Winter Musings


What do you think of winter? Do you relish the cold? Are you the first one out the door to catch snowflakes on your tongue? Are you a skier?


Or do you hate the chilly weather? Do you flee from frosty air and console yourself with hot chocolate by the fire?


It’s December and I’ve already had to shovel the driveway three times. In celebration or to psych ourselves up for winter’s arrival, I’d like to share some seasonal quotes.

Thirteen Winter Musings


1. In a drear-nighted December, Too happy, happy brook, Thy bubblings ne'er remember Apollo's summer look; But with a sweet forgetting, They stay their crystal fretting, Never, never petting About the frozen time. John Keats


2. In cold December fragrant chaplets blow, And heavy harvests nod beneath the snow. Alexander Pope

3. Sometimes our fate resembles a fruit tree in winter. Who would think that those branches would turn those branches would turn green again and blossom, but we hope it, we know it. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe


4. December fog – among the yellow leaves a dead frog.
Michael P. Garofalo


5. Winter dies into the spring, to be born again in the autumn.

Marche Blumenberg


6. Snowflakes are one of nature’s most fragile things, but just look what they do when they stick together.
Verna M. Kelly


7. Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face.
Victor Hugo


8. In the bleak midwinter Frosty wind made moan, Earth stood hard as iron, Water like a stone; Snow had fallen, snow on snow, Snow on snow, In the bleak midwinter, Long ago.

Christina Rossetti


9. You can’t get too much winter in the winter.
Robert Frost


10. Winter is not a season, it’s an occupation.

Sinclair Lewis


11. God gave us memory so that we might have roses in December.
James Matthew Barrie

12. In the depth of winter I finally learned that there within me lay an invincible summer. Albert Camus

13. Before the end of December, generally, they experience their first thawing. Those which a month ago were sour, crabbed, and quite unpalatable to the civilized taste, such at least as were frozen while sound, let a warmer sun come to thaw them, for they are extremely sensitive to its rays, are found to be filled with a rich, sweet cider, better than any bottled cider that I know of, and with which I am better acquainted than with wine. All apples are good in this state, and your jaws are the cider-press.

Henry David Thoreau


What do you think of winter? Perhaps you share one of these famous individuals’ opinions. Or maybe you have another insight. Please share.



18 comments:

  1. I don't mind winter, but here in Canada it can stretch too long. My fave season is Autumn.

    My TT entry is here

    Thanks so much for stopping by my blog earlier, and hope you have a great rest of the week :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful TT. Such beautiful quotes. I'm not much of a winter person. I usually run from the cold. LOL!! Thanks so much for stopping by my place and your nice comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lot of these turn the season on it's ear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great 13! I like the one about what the snowflakes do when they stick together especially! We rarely ever see the snow here, but I'm hoping we will this winter!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not a fan of too much snow or when the roads get icy but other then that I don't mind it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My but Michael P. Garofalo was a cheery fellow! In Canada, the most oft quote about winter is, "Oh no, not again." which was subjugated by the late author Douglas Adams in relation to a bowl of petunias... but I know it was a secret nod to Canadian winters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can definitely say that I am not a fan of winter weather. I'd probably like winter, if I were in, say, Arizona. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent TT. Winter is a magical time of year even if I do freeze :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Winter does get rather long by March. I enjoy it at the beginning of the season.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like #11 the best.

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hated the winter when I lived in Japan, especially when driving in the snow. Now, I don't have to worry about anything winter related here in Dubai.

    Our weather is perfect, very cool right now. Not cold.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for visiting our T13 (worthy causes). I think snow is beautiful as I long as I don't have to go out and shovel it. Guess I shouldn't have bought a home in Massachusetts.
    #3 is how I feel
    #6 is inspiring
    #8 = Brrrr
    #11 says it best

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm going with Mr. J.M. Barrie on this one. I prefer Autumn myself. Sadly, we don't get much in the way of seasonal distinctions out here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are great quotes. Not a fan of winter, myself, but hearing it from other perspectives makes it more tolerable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love winter. Here in Florida its the only time we get a break from the heat.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog! I like winter, I'm not a big huge fan of being hot every day, like I am in the summer. I especially like this time of year! The 25 day challenge is hard! I'm only 4 days in, and already, I'm scrambling.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love winter. Everything about it. Thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a lovely post. I love poetry and love winter. I use to ski, snow mobile, enjoy the frosty mornings in Wyoming. As I get older though I find I have to ration my energy. I think I enjoy all the seasons. Thanks for stopping by my blog enjoyed reading your response.

    ReplyDelete

 
ja