Saturday, December 13, 2008

Putting Your Best Face Forward...

Hello all,

Well, I bit the bullet and hired a photographer and had a sitting for an official author portrait. How did I make this ultra-important decision? A co-worker recommended someone. Her son is a senior in high school and one of his classmates used a photographer for her senior shots that my co-worker thought were really interesting and unique.
I went to Kelly's Web site to review her online portfolio and I really liked it. She did really cool things with color and light so I decided I'd contact her to do my photos. I'm really glad I did, so if you're in the Des Moines Iowa area, check out Kesling Photography!
As I drove to her place, I thought back to the last time I had a formal portrait taken. Except for the time I had shots taken with my mom in 2002 or 2003, the last time was when I was a senior in high school, which was a VERY long time ago.
I admit to being kind of nervous, but Kelly put me at ease and offered suggestions for which shirts and jewelry I should wear (I brought a bunch of stuff). The really cool thing was that she had worked at Glamour Shots® in the past, so she knew exactly what I needed. We did some moody shots with interesting lighting and everything. Ya know, I might actually look pretty good in these pictures. I'm no Tyra Banks, but I think these will turn out all right.
Speaking of Tyra, I kept hearing her in my head. You know...the "smile with your eyes" comments she always makes no matter what cycle of America's Next Top Model is on. LOL It was great. So thanks Tyra! It helped.
I'll let you all know the outcome when I get the proofs. Keep you fingers crossed.

4 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see them! I have to keep my hair short so it matches my photos and I never have to have them done again.

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, another one of those things I dread having to do when I finally get published (along with book signings). I have to be one of the least photogenic people alive. The camera must hate me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jody - good idea. The photo I had taken in 2007 still looks like me. It's just kind of dull. I'm really looking forward to getting these.

    Lori - you could see if there is a Glamour Shots near you or find a local photographer you feel comfortable with. I liked working with Kelly so I think things are going to turn out okay - even though I don't really look great in photos either. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Smiles! It will be fun to see your pictures!

    ReplyDelete

 
ja