Thursday, November 13, 2008

Do you have dreams? Hopes that you’d like to fulfill? Then you’ll enjoy these Thirteen Optimistic and Encouraging Quotes.


I’ve always been inspired by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s I Have A Dream speech. I thought about his speech a lot this fall because of my current work-in-progress and because of the November elections.


One thing I take away from Dr. King’s speech (and certainly not the only point I ponder) is that having dreams for the future is a choice. Hope is a choice.


It’s easy to turn on the evening news and feel depressed with financial uncertainty and lay-off worries, but we can choose to have hope.


This November, I find myself wanting to encourage others to press on and to believe they can reach their goals.


Do you have dreams? Ever doubt you’ll achieve them?


Here are 13 quotes to encourage you.




1. Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined. Henry David Thoreau


2. The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt


3. Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly. Lanston Hughes
4. The best way to make your dreams come true is to wake up. Paul Valery


5. There is nothing like a dream to create the future. Victor Hugo


6. You see things and say, 'Why?’, but I dream things and say, 'Why not? George Bernard Shaw


7. It takes a lot of courage to show your dreams to someone else. Erma Bombeck

8. Great hopes make great men. Thomas Fuller


9. If you can imagine it you can create it. If you can dream it, you can become it. William Arthur Ward


10. Within our dreams and aspirations we find our opportunities. Sue Atchley Ebaugh

11. There are only two ways to live your life. One as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. Albert Einstein


12. Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world. Harriet Tubman


13. Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake. Henry David Thoreau


What are some of your dreams? What inspires you? Please share.



28 comments:

  1. I'm a firm believfer in dream since they have such a power of connection to my spirituality and my inspiration was a writer. Very nice TT!

    Happy TT

    http://moondancerdrake.livejournal.com/91746.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard the I Have a Dream speech most recently on The View the day after the election. What brought tears to my eyes was this line:

    I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

    How impossible that dream seemed at the time. And his children DID live to see that dream realized to some degree.

    As for Shaw, I bought a chalkboard to be posted where the whole family can see it. It has the following quote:

    The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

    The REALLY funny part is that just below it reads, "George Benard Shaw." Now, for a grammar geek like me, that is so funny and ironic. They talk about the illusion of communication and then misspell the name of the person quoted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. #7 is so true--sharing your dreams is more revealing and intimate than nakedness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you know what inspires me? Sunsets. They're just so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My biggest dream would have to be being able to stay home with my daughter. I just feel like I'm missing so much of her life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The last quote is fantastic:
    'Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.'

    I've definitely found keeping the dream alive to be harder than learning the craft of writing. But every artist has to perfect the keeping of dreams - it's essential.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hurray for great quotes!! Thanks so much for sharing! In this difficult time, I think it's so important to remember that others have been here before - and thrived!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing!

    The I have a Dream Speech is one that I read/listen to on a regular basis to remind myself to keep going :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good quotes.

    My dream...becoming a mom. Working on that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Brenda! I always look forward to seeing what TT quotes you'll post each week.

    Jody W.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some amazing quotes there, and very true.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely right -- if you can't dream it, you can't do it. Nicely said.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm a firm believer in the "if you can dream it you can do it" school of thought. The trick is figuring out what you really want, I suppose.

    I'll go work on that now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have heard the GBS quote before and it always inspires me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great quotes all of them. So true. I try to live after them - nowadays. I've learned my lesson earlier.

    My dream is to travel as often as Ican, but the biggest dream is to make a trip around the world of course - and with NO TIME LIMIT. that would be something!

    I don't think it will happen, not in that large scale, but I'm quite happy with our trips we make :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey! I have a blog that USED to be devoted to a dream... the blog has changed a bit, but the dream does indeed remain!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your quotes. Thanks for visiting History Is Elementary, Brenda.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for sharing these quotes! They are great!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great quotes. I think all writers are dreamers by nature, but I agree that we all need dreams.

    Thanks for visiting my TT!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very inspiring quotes! Thanks I needed those. Brenda, everything is starting to turn around. Thanks!

    Happy TT!

    13 Things About Me

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am not a dreamer, I just live, lol ! !

    ReplyDelete
  22. Those are great quotes. Very inspirational. I'm already living my dream.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the Hughes and Thoreau quotes especially. It is work to live the life one imagines--but the finest work.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful quotes. If you don't have dreams there is no hope. Thanks for stopping by my place. Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is without one of the most inspiring posts i've read in a while.
    Have a great weekend, gave you shout out on our blog:)
    MuchaCostaRica Round-Up

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great quotes, and a nice reminder to keep dreaming. :)

    ReplyDelete

 
ja