Sunday, November 2, 2008

All Souls Day

All Souls Day follows All Hallows Eve or Halloween, a night when we mask our faces to keep our souls safe from those spirits who walk among us. This day, a pagan remembrance and later Christian observance, is said to be for the intercession of souls in purgatory and also for family members to set out food and drink for those loved ones who have died.

The Diner is quiet today, but we have our own observances for All Souls Day and those who walk freely among us. Traditionally, small cakes are left on tables and doorsteps as nourishment for the souls who need food, but we've also laid in some extra salt and a bit of holy water, to keep evil from our popular establishment.

Our small cakes are almond, still warm, and with the day waning, the pleasant smell has seeped into the corners of our little diner and the patrons have enjoyed the extra sweet at the end of their meal. And we've had some pleasant visitors, although my sister didn't get to see Elvis, but he's probably out somewhere else looking for peanut butter! I plan on making cookies tomorrow, everything from chocolate chip to peanut butter kisses, so who knows.... maybe he'll show up later!

It's been a mellow day, and we've spent time remembering and sharing stories and listening to music that reminds us of the past. Let me see... I think my favorite was "Back in Black" by AC/DC! I know it always gets me moving, and the dancing may go on until closing. What was your favorite song to bring back memories??

Also, Francesca, Talia and Brenda ND, please email me at mdntvoices@yahoo.com so I can get you that pumpkin bread recipe :) I have the recipe for the almond cakes, as well, if you want that!

Tomorrow is Monday...and it will be back to writing!

Jeannie

1 comment:

  1. I spent yesterday baking peanut butter cookies too. Great minds think alike, I guess. :)

    ReplyDelete

 
ja