Thursday, October 2, 2008

Thirteen Books To Help You Beat Writer’s Block

So you want to write . . . what do you do when you don’t know what to say or how to begin? When suddenly you stumble over what words to use? You stare at a huge empty sheet of paper, mop your forehead and your mind goes as blank as the paper.

You have writers’ block. What can you do?

My recommendation—read a book. Consult the experts. Here are 13 books and authors whose advice can help you.

Thirteen Books To Help You Beat Writer's Block

1. No Plot? No Problem? , Chris Baty









2. The Artist’s Way: A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity, Julia Cameron













3. The Vein of Gold, Julia Cameron






4.How to Write a Damn Good Novel, James N. Frey (Although the whole book isn’t about Writer’s Block, there’s a chapter full of tips to get yourself writing again.)







5. Writing Down the Bones: Freeing the Writer Within, Natalie Goldberg










6. Wild Mind: Living the Writer’s Life, Natalie Goldberg










7. The Courage to Write: How Writers Transcend Fear, Ralph Keyes










8. The Writer’s Book of Hope, Ralph Keyes









9. Writing On Both Sides of the Brain, Henrietta Anne Klauser








10. Bird by Bird, Anne LaMott











11. Writing in Flow, Susan K. Perry, Ph. D.











12. If You Can Talk You Can Write, Joel Saltzman









13. Page After Page, Heather Sellers


I’m certain one of these books will hold the answer to solving your writing difficulties. There are other books on writer’s block, but these are the ones I’ve found helpful. What books would you recommend? We can always add to the list.


21 comments:

  1. Ah, Ralph Keyes, my hero! Seriously, if it weren't for him, I doubt I'd be published. Just two of a fantastic group of books (many of which I own, others I plan to buy, and the rest I'll be checking out). Great Post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard of several of these from my writer-friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for dropping by. Now that is a list that could help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey branda...thanks for visiting. come tag along with me to NZ. we're gonna have fun!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Natalie's books are my favorites. I also like her "Cracking Open the Writer's Mind."

    ReplyDelete
  6. a treasure trove for writers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now this is a great topic for TT! Great list of helpful books.

    Thank you for visiting me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great books! I love the one from the guy who invented NaNo. hehehe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've read "Bird By Bird". It's great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is there one called, "It's in your darned head, now commit it to paper, you lazy mutton head!"... that would be the one I need. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Someone on a markcom e-mail list I'm on was just looking for that first one today, in time for NaNoWriMo.

    My muse is a bit of a one-track wonder - she's either writing or shooting pictures, rarely both at the same time, and lately it's been all about the pictures. Too bad, I'd like to get writing again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have two of those books! Actually, your TTs have been really helping me think about my WIP. My Mum and Husband thank you for that. (They want me to finish it so they can read it. Shocking.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been hearing about No Plot, No Problem other places too. Great list.

    ReplyDelete
  14. #1 reminds me that nanowrimo starts in less than a month. Happy writing and reading.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've heard the first book mentioned several times recently.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great list...I have issues from time to time. Im going to check them out. Happy TT and thanks for stopping by:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't know any of those but some of them look very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  18. #9 sounds like a really helpful book. I may have to check it out. Or really, the one about getting over your fear might be good for me, too.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great list. I'm pretty sure I've thumbed through the writing in flow book before. I have a little collection (stack) of writer's books myself. Thanks for stopping by and for the encouraging words. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is an excellent list. I'll have to pick up some of them to read. My faves are The Writer's Journey by Christopher Vogler and The Complete Writers Guide to Heroes and Heroines by Tami Cowden. When I'm wondering what to do, I pick those up and I'm inspired all over again!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Julia Cameron is a favorite of mine. I met her at Wisdom House in Litchfield, Connecticut, where she gave a presentation on writing. What struck me the most was her mantra that we need to give ourselves permission to write!

    ReplyDelete

 
ja