Monday, October 27, 2008

Blood and Spirits, Part 4

Continue from Part 3

Right, Tessa thought. Stab a vampire through the chest with a grapevine stick and live, or stand here like an idiot until one of the blood suckers gives you a killer hickey. Literally. Great choices.

Then Vlad the bartender, enraged over the spillage of his top shelf ’69 Keith Richards pinot noir, charged her. OK. Choice made. She raised the stake.

And he laughed at her. He backhanded her arm, knocking the stake from her grasp. Then he reached for her and she knew her days as a living, breathing human being were over.

But he never touched her. Van Helsing spun him around and a swift punch to the face sent him sprawling.

“You chipped my fang,” the vampire growled, cupping his mouth. He slowly rose to his feet. “You’re going to pay for that.”

“Put it on my tab.”

Damn, there was something so sexy about a guy who could joke and face death at the same time.

The vampire launched himself at the slayer just as VH pulled another grapevine stake from his coat. The vamp grabbed the stake and they wrestled with it between them. Tessa couldn’t believe what she was seeing as the vampire effortlessly tossed VH, sending him flying across the restaurant and crashing into a table for two. She glanced around at the other vamps watching the show, their fanged grins white in the candlelight.

Vlad advanced on VH, the stake raised in his fist. “Let’s see how you like a tree shoved through your vital organs.”

Tessa couldn’t stand by a watch the man die. She grabbed up her fallen stake, then raced across the room and tapped the vampire on the shoulder.

“Excuse me, but I’d rather you didn’t stake my date.” And she plunged the grapevine stake through his heart.

Vlad the bartender looked down at his chest in shock, then he went up in flames like a roman candle.

VH jumped to his feet and wrapped his arms around her, easing them both back as the other vampires advanced.

“Got any brilliant ideas?” Tessa asked.

He pulled out two more stakes, handing one to her. “Sorry, I don’t happen to have any wine bottles on me. These will have to do.”

“Well, seeing as I’m getting the hang of this vampire slaying thing…” She raised her stake at the nearest vamp.

Then one by one, the remaining vamps simply vanished.

“Where did they go?”

“Now that their distributer is ash, high-tailing it back to Napa would be my guess. Most of those fancy B&Bs there are run by wine vamps.”

“You’re kidding.”

“Nope. Looks like I’ll be hunting them down in the Golden State now.” He turned, his eyes intense on her face, as if he just realized he still held her in his arms. “Good staking, Buffy.”

“Thanks. It was my first. And the name’s Tessa.”

“Well, Tessa. You certainly have a knack for spearing wine vamps. Thanks for saving my hide.” He leaned down and kissed her on the cheek. “I could use somebody like you at my back.”

He hesitated and she knew he read the desire in her eyes. Damn, were all vampire slayers this hot? Then he moved in closer and brushed his lips along her jaw. “And by my side.”

She sucked in a breath as tingles pricked her skin.

He pulled her tight and nuzzled her neck. “And under me.”

Tessa’s entire body quivered. “You’re not going to bite me, are you?”

He pulled back and smiled the sexiest grin she’d ever seen. “Only if you promise to bite me back.”

4 comments:

 
ja