Wednesday, October 15, 2008

13 Quotes to Lift Your Spirits from “Page After Page”

Do you ever get discouraged about your writing?
I do.

Whenever that happens, I like to read Page After Page by Heather Sellers, a professor of English at Hope College in Holland, Mich. It’s a short, easy read that is part Encouraging Exhortations and part Celebration of the Writing Craft. Although I’ve read the entire book, I’ve never gone straight through it. That’s because it so inspires me, I find I have to quickly return to my latest work-in-progress.

Heather has a PhD. in English/Creative Writing from Florida State University and previously taught at the University of Texas-San Antonio. She’s published multiple books: Georgia Underwater, Spike and Cubby’s Ice Cream Island Adventure, Chapter by Chapter and Page After Page.

So, in hopes of lifting your spirits, I’d like to share 13 quotes from Page After Page:





13 Quotes to Lift Your Spirits from “Page After Page”



1. “To write, you need to simply write.”
2. “I have fabulous instincts. So do you.”
3. “Part of being a writer is paying extraordinarily close attention to what is in your mind.”
4. “Everyone starts out as a beginner.”
5. “You already know everything you need to know.”
6. “People who are writers probably used to ‘suck.’ It’s hard to believe, but you get better by staying with it, by not letting your ‘sucky’ work scare you too badly. Keep writing.”
7. “Anyone can learn writing technique. But there’s always a catch. As I said, you have to be able to tolerate your own bad writing. If you’re going to get better, you have to suck.”
8. “You need to sit down every day and write.”
9. “To develop a successful writing life, you must be able to focus and concentrate. Start small.”
10. “Successful, happy writers carry their writing around with them all the time. No matter where they are.”
11. “Ask every writer you meet for insights into the practice of writing.”
12. “Writing is very risky. Not for the timid. But nothing in the world feels better than falling backward off that mountain everyone else is laboring to climb and free-falling out into nothing -- trusting the secrets you know will mean something to someone else, making their climb richer and easier, and their view more thrilling and spiritual.”
13. “If you follow your heart, write only the pieces you alone can write. If you keep your mind open to learning, if you conquer lousy mental habits and self-defeating thinking, revise your work, join writing communities, and submit pieces to appropriate, well-researched markets, you will get published. Let me say this again. You will get published.”
Do any of Sellers’ quotes ring true for you? Which have meaning for you?
Do you have a favorite quote about writing? Please share.





If no inspirational sayings come to mind, I’d like to encourage you to read this book ASAP. It’ll help jump-start your writing. It’s a feel-good book – ideal for people aspiring to write.

22 comments:

  1. Wow...what an awesome list. Thanks for the inspiration:) Happy TT and thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great quotes, and very true. Writing changes and improves over time. Sitting down to write daily is essential!

    ReplyDelete
  3. #1 is the most fundamental! And so true!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too much thought... I just do it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you found inspiration that works for you. I write because the voices in my head tell me to. LOL Great list. Happy T13!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent quotes, and yes, very inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are very inspiring. I especially need #7. I think it would be easier to tolerate sucking if I hadn't had such an easy time with writing when I was in school.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your 13....very inspirational.

    Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment on my Thursday blog. You made my day!! Hope your day treats you well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now I am really inspired by these! happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great list.

    My favorite writing quote is "Most people are told to get up off their lazy butts and do something. Writers are told to sit down on their lazy butt and do something!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are all great! I especially like #4 though because it is so true everyone has to start somewhere. :) Happy TT and thanks for stopping by earlier :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for yet another inspirational writing post. Keep 'em coming. I can use the encouragement with NaNoWriMo coming up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember a lot of those from when I took college writing classes.

    Happy TT and thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Some very goodly quotes for those times when a budding writer needs a lift! Thanks kindly for sharing them... (sadly, I don't have any to share of my own...)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I teach writing so these are perfect for me! What a great TT. Thanks for stopping by today.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This list really helped me get going today-Thanks! Great contribution to TT!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I never think when I write, I take a subject and off I go, lol !

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm back today {Friday} to tell you I have a halloween treat for you on my blog today. Drop by and pick it up if you'd like!

    ReplyDelete
  19. These really are inspiring words, thanks for sharing. I am not a writer but I really think that if I had stuck with it, I could have been a brilliant one. :)

    ReplyDelete

 
ja