Sunday, September 28, 2008

Something About Nothing

That's what comes to mind when I think about writing and blocks. I feel like I can write anything about nothing, but when I need to write about something, I can't. It makes me crazy, keeps me going back and forth at night in my mind, wishing I could sleep instead. So I found a way to make it work - find out what helps me focus on the story I'm working on or the story that's keeping me from working on what I thought I was working on.

I'm always in the middle of something when another good idea strikes me as the "perfect" story. I want to stop what I'm doing and start writing on that, but what you end up with is a bunch of half-finished manuscripts. And I can't sell a half-finished book.

I've found if I can write down the story idea I have, include a few scenes or dialogue segments, maybe even a picture or two, whatever will hold that story idea open, I can get it out of my head and keep working on the current manuscript. For the current manuscript, to keep myself on track, I keep a posterboard over my computer filled with notes and pictures and scenes, postcards, anything I need to keep my mind focused. I find now, when I am stopped or blocked, all I have to do is go through the things on my board, and immediately, I find myself saying, what if I did this?

Which is how we got started in the first place, right?

Oh, by the way, I'm baking some yummy pumpkin bread. It's a great recipe, so if anyone wants to try it ... and then wants to make it, let me know :)
Happy eating!

4 comments:

  1. Great advice to take notes while the fire is hot. I usually have tons of ideas hit me WHILE I'm writing something too. I've gotten to the point where I write things down to work on later.

    BTW - I'd love to have the pumpkin bread recipe!

    Francesca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! Bring on the pumpkin bread recipe!!! And I find that often when I am trying to write scene A all kinds of stuff for another section will bombard my poor brain.

    LOL!

    Talia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm the opposite, I can't start another story until I finished the book I'm working on.

    Good, you say? Not when you're stuck on the wip for years!

    Love the notes and dialog idea.

    ~Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, I'd like the bread recipe too.

    ReplyDelete

 
ja