Wednesday, September 10, 2008

The Beginning of The End


Endings are especially important to me because they're the reason I became a writer.

Many years ago I read a book that I absolutely loved. The writing was clever and humorous. The heroine, my kinda gal. The hero, strong and yummy. I couldn't put the book down.

And then I got to the ending. It was awful. Boy, was I pissed. I felt cheated. I felt robbed. I felt like I devoted 4 hours on my life to this story only to be let down. The heroine shrieked her love for the hero out of fear and he basically said, "uh, wow, gee, er...."

Not the response I (or the heroine, I'm sure) was looking for. I figure they're divorced by now:)

To this day, I can trace my desire to rewrite that ending to the beginning of my writing journey. When I finish a book, I want to close it, sit back and sigh. I want the resolutions to be real. I want the characters to put their hearts on the line because it's something worth fighting for.

I loved Lori's post yesterday. She said to start with the ending. This is something I have done myself and always find those books easier to write. Just make sure you tie up all the loose ends, but also try not to make it an info dump. I try to tie up the ends as I go along so it's not all done in the last two or three pages.

So, like I've said before, start with a bang, end with a sigh.

~Maggie

1 comment:

 
ja