Sunday, August 31, 2008

So Done!


I'm so done with this book.

As writers, do you ever have that feeling? There comes a time in the lives of many manuscripts where you just want to pound out "The End", no matter what it takes. You're sick of the characters, sick of the story, sick of not being done when you thought you'd be free a month ago. Your book is a ball and chain, dragging you away from much more interesting projects. You're ready to submit it to your editor or agent, or your potential editor or agent, and sometimes your critique partners are starting to make snarky comments about those final chapters never seeing the light of day. If the manuscript were a book I was reading instead of writing, I would want to slam it closed, maybe slam it against a wall.

With several manuscripts, I got so desperate to wash my hands of this story, I skipped over the last third of the book, faked the ending, and then filled in the blanks, polishing as I went. I just wanted to be DONE.

Because I lose patience with the process, I suppose, endings are my most challenging part of writing a book. I can dream up story premises, appropriate characters and whiz-bang first chapters until the cows come home. I enjoy the middles, the meat of the book, where characterization and adventure are key.

But the endings? The endings crinkle my drawers. I struggle with conceiving them, plotting them, struggling to reach them, and most of all, doing them justice. They intimidate me and they elude me. Yet if I don't know roughly how a book's threads will tie into the finale, I can't write beyond the first scene or so. And, since I'm partially a "pantser", it's not unusual for my threads and plot points to morph as I tip-tap through the book, sometimes altering the conclusion.

Some authors are organized and determined and pre-plot everything, outline it and actually stick to what they decided they were going to do in the first place. Some can write a book without knowing the ending, happily flying into the mists of their imagination and excited about the journey. And some are like me, stuck in the middle of panting and plotsing, needing to do a bit of both in order to remain motivated.

How about you? Do you need to know every detail about your ending before you can make the book happen? Or does it come as a surprise to you? (And by surprise I mean something besides "surprisingly sucktastic".)

Jody W.
http://www.jodywallace.com/
SURVIVAL OF THE FAIREST--Available now, Samhain Publishing

5 comments:

  1. I'm a plotter at heart. With my second book, the powerful ending came to me first and I wrote the whole book around it. It worked beautifully. With my latest, I had a vague idea of how it would end, I've since written it twice, and will probably rewrite it a third time as I go through these dang edits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me, too. Plotter at heart. And I pretty much have to know where I how I want it to end. Now it may morph during the course of the journey but I need, at minimum, a direction.

    ;)

    Talia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Knowing every single step the plot and characters are going to take isn't my thing. I'm not that organized : ) But I usually have a beginning and an ending when I first start a project, and if I'm lucky a few middle turning points in mind. More often than not, things change along the way and I have to tweak what's going on or a character trait. OK, sometimes it's more than just a tweak.

    Your crit partners are making snarky comments? I'm shocked!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a bit of a hybrid. I know the beginning, a few points in the middle, and the end. Other than that, my characters dictate the direction of the book. I've had them completely change a book on me if they didn't like where I was taking it - the heroes are the worst. ;-)

    Francesca

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like to think of the ending before I start writing the book. Usually the characters pretty much end up just where or how I thought, even though the path they took was different than I imagined.

    ReplyDelete

 
ja