Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Multiple Choice First Lines

Here are 6 first lines from paranormal romances released in 2007 or 2008...mixed up a little! What are your guesses in my little quiz? And yes, I did include the correct second half to each first sentence. At some other time this week or next week, I'll list the correct answers and also the titles and authors of the books for anyone who's interested.

1) Not many people can handle the pain of

A) losing their true love once, much less once a generation.
B) being ripped apart, of having your limbs twisted and morphed until you are convinced your mind will shatter into a thousand tiny shards.
C) a bikini wax.
D) the Change, and that is what drives so many of my kind to madness.

**

2) When I opened the door to greet my grandmother for the very first time,

A) I'm not sure what I was expecting.
B) she greeted me with a hug and two sloppy kisses.
C) I accidentally let the dog out, and the little bastard ran straight out into traffic.
D) I wasn't prepared to meet my mother and her other children, too.

**

3) "A cowboy, a lawyer, and a mechanic

A) walked into a bar."
B) can't compare in the bedroom," Stella said.
C) all make better money than you do," my mother griped at me.
D) watched Queen of the Damned," I murmured.

**

4) He didn't know how long

A) he'd been dead.
B) he could listen to her complain about her manicure.
C) he'd have to wait before he could see the Boss.
D) it took for a vampire to rise after its death.

**

5) Creed wasn't sure what he'd expected the forbidden dimension to look like,

A) but this wasn't it.
B) but it bore a striking resemblence to his grandmother's parlor, right down to the yellow rose wallpaper.
C) yet by the carrion scent in the air, he could tell he'd come to the right place.
D) but preschool for demon toddlers had never crossed his mind.

**

6) Nick Rawlings hoped

A) the winning lottery ticket was still in the jeans he'd stupidly washed without checking the pockets.
B) Cindy Mongomery of the Atlanta Mongomeries had forgotten all about him.
C) he got attacked today.
D) this would be the last time he ever had to kiss that demon's ass.

Jody W.
http://www.jodywallace.com
SURVIVAL OF THE FAIREST--Available now, Samhain Publishing

9 comments:

  1. Okay, I don't think I've read any of these but I'm game. Here are my guesses:

    1.A
    2.C
    3.B
    4.A
    5.D
    6.B

    How'd I do?

    ;)

    Talia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talia,

    You got one right *laugh*. I won't say which one at this time.

    JW

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure I'll blow the quiz, but I think I know where choice 5D came from ; )

    ReplyDelete
  4. These may not be correct, but I would love to read the books that had them as the first line!

    1) Not many people can handle the pain of losing their true love once, much less once a generation.

    2) When I opened the door to greet my grandmother for the very first time, I'm not sure what I was expecting.

    3) "A cowboy, a lawyer, and a mechanic all make better money than you do," my mother griped at me.

    4) He didn't know how long he could listen to her complain about her manicure.

    5) Creed wasn't sure what he'd expected the forbidden dimension to look like, but it bore a striking resemblence to his grandmother's parlor, right down to the yellow rose wallpaper.

    6) Nick Rawlings hoped this would be the last time he ever had to kiss that demon's ass.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ireadwhat -- you also got 1 right!

    Jody W.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man, and we're writers????

    LOLOL!

    Talia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dang, I think most of those would be great first lines - some greater than others but all good. If you just made those up I'd like to read the stories you write using them! LOL So when are you gonna post the answers? I'm dying to know!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here are the lines & books:

    1) Not many people can handle the pain of being ripped apart, of having your limbs twisted and morphed until you are convinced your mind will shatter into a thousand tiny shards.

    Red by Jordan Summers

    **

    2) When I opened the door to greet my grandmother for the very first time, I'm not sure what I was expecting.

    The Accidental Demon Slayer by Angie Fox

    **

    3) "A cowboy, a lawyer, and a mechanic watched Queen of the Damned," I murmured.

    Iron Kissed by Patricia Briggs

    **

    4) He didn't know how long he'd been dead.

    Possession by Jennifer Armintrout

    **

    5) Creed wasn't sure what he'd expected the forbidden dimension to look like, but this wasn't it.

    In Twilight's Shadow by Patti O'Shea

    **

    6) Nick Rawlings hoped he got attacked today.

    He Loves Me, He Loves Me Hot by Stephanie Rowe

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm late but played anyway. I only got one right. Fun alternatives. I might do this sometime.

    ReplyDelete

 
ja