Wednesday, August 27, 2008

FinishThat Story!!

I recently returned from the RWA National Conference. I had a wonderful time meeting and chatting with writers at all points in their publishing journey. What surprised me was the number of writers who said they had 100 beginnings and never finished a novel. It's that dreaded middle again! No wonder agents and editors insist new writers have at least one finished manuscript.

A few of my fellow writers confessed they were there to learn something from the many workshops, a few others said they needed the motivation. I hope they found what they were looking for. The Sagging Middle Blues is a dreaded sickness amongst writers who want desperately to put their story into words, but the middle eludes them.

The cure? Learn your plot inside and out. Have real, convincing conflicts that can't be remedied with a heart-to-heart talk. Get to know your characters inside and out and NEVER lose sight of that light at the end of the tunnel

We have to start the story with a bang and end it with a sigh, but it's the middle that has to keep them turning the pages.

~Maggie

1 comment:

  1. Maggie,
    For the longest time I suffered from the same problem. Tons of starts but no middles. I'm happy to say I've gotten to the point where I have all three parts...a beginning, a middle, and an end! Thanks for a great post!
    Francesca

    ReplyDelete

 
ja