Thursday, July 17, 2008

Thirteen Fictional Villains


Thirteen FICTIONAL VILLAINS

In no special order, I give you a baker's dozen of the most famous fictional villains of all time. There are, of course, many more.

1. Professor Moriarty. Possibly the first supervillain, Sherlock Holmes’ arch nemesis is the epitome of intelligent evil.

2. Dracula. Say the name and a chill skitters up your spine. This character turned blood sucking into entertainment.

3. Brutus. Who doesn’t know the line, “Et tu, Brute?” from Shakespeare’s Julius Caesar? Though based on historical events, the play has given Brutus a life of his own.

4. Moby Dick. A man and a whale, an epic struggle, a classic novel.

5. Hannibal Lecter. Creepy in the books, creepy in the movies. What more can you ask of an evil villain?

6. Lex Luthor. Speaking of characters who transitioned from page (in this case comic book) to screen. He gives Superman a run for his money.

7. The Joker. Yet another comic book to screen character. This time it’s Batman who has to work to come out ahead.

8. Darth Vadar. Who can forget the sinister sound of his breathing?

9. The Master. Doctor Who’s arch nemesis and a threat to the entire universe.

10. Borg queen. There are fewer women supervillains, but there are some. The Borg are almost invincible villains, and there queen is both beautiful and frightening. Resistance is futile.

11. Drusilla. Buffy fought many villains, but Drusilla is probably the most interesting. Beautiful, evil, insane; she’s fascinating to watch.

12. Catwoman. Another character to make the transition from page to screen. My vision of Catwoman is from the 1960’s television version of Batman. Even at a young age, I wanted to be her—and I wanted to be with him. Sigh.

13. Tom. Who? The cat, of course. The one who’s incessantly after Jerry the mouse. What, you don’t think he’s a supervillain? Ask Jerry what he thinks about that.

Who would you add to the list?


Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



12 comments:

  1. I would add Lord Voldemort from Harry Potter. He is wicked evil!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Dracula is one of the scariest from your list. It creeps me out how he could transform from a wolf, to a bat, to mist in the origianl novel. How can you defeat something that's always changing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your list, but I don't think Tom was the villain in that cartoon. That mouse did pretty bad things to the cat, too. Happy TT!

    http://whatscooking.us/2008/07/17/13-mexican-ingredients-that-changed-the-world/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely would add Lord Voldemort, there are so many out there but my mind draws a blank at the moment, I think Hannibal Lecter on your list gets to me the most.
    Great TT, thanks for dropping by the Cafe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I saw Brutus, I thought the big bully from Popeye. Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Borg Queen. Few know her and those that met her never live to tell the tale. We are the collective!!

    I love this list:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting T-13 listing today. Like Soul Pockets, I was thinking of Lord Voldemort and when I read the last one about Tom I thought of Wile E. Coyote ... though he seems more a fool than a villain.
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would add Michael Meyers. I was always afraid he'd be lurking in the shadows somewhere outside my window.

    ReplyDelete
  9. pinhead from hellraiser!! the scariest dude EVAH... lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved Drusilla, she became even more interesting on Angel. Angelus was also a fantastic villain.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ben, good point about the mouse!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great list! Definitely need Voldemort on there, though. And I would add Ming the Merciless from the original Flash Gordon series...well, just because!

    LOL!

    Talia

    ReplyDelete

 
ja