In no special order, I give you a baker's dozen of the most famous fictional villains of all time. There are, of course, many more.
1. Professor Moriarty. Possibly the first supervillain, Sherlock Holmes’ arch nemesis is the epitome of intelligent evil.
2. Dracula. Say the name and a chill skitters up your spine. This character turned blood sucking into entertainment.
3. Brutus. Who doesn’t know the line, “Et tu, Brute?” from Shakespeare’s Julius Caesar? Though based on historical events, the play has given Brutus a life of his own.
4. Moby Dick. A man and a whale, an epic struggle, a classic novel.
5. Hannibal Lecter. Creepy in the books, creepy in the movies. What more can you ask of an evil villain?
6. Lex Luthor. Speaking of characters who transitioned from page (in this case comic book) to screen. He gives Superman a run for his money.
7. The Joker. Yet another comic book to screen character. This time it’s Batman who has to work to come out ahead.
8. Darth Vadar. Who can forget the sinister sound of his breathing?
9. The Master. Doctor Who’s arch nemesis and a threat to the entire universe.
10. Borg queen. There are fewer women supervillains, but there are some. The Borg are almost invincible villains, and there queen is both beautiful and frightening. Resistance is futile.
11. Drusilla. Buffy fought many villains, but Drusilla is probably the most interesting. Beautiful, evil, insane; she’s fascinating to watch.
12. Catwoman. Another character to make the transition from page to screen. My vision of Catwoman is from the 1960’s television version of Batman. Even at a young age, I wanted to be her—and I wanted to be with him. Sigh.
13. Tom. Who? The cat, of course. The one who’s incessantly after Jerry the mouse. What, you don’t think he’s a supervillain? Ask Jerry what he thinks about that.
Who would you add to the list?
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants