Monday, July 21, 2008

Absence (of Children) Makes the Fingers Type Faster!

This week at the Diner we're going to be talking setting -- setting for the writer, that is. How and where do staffers at the Diner write? What do they need in order to achieve maximum velocity on the keyboard or legal pad or whatever their choice of medium may be? Do they have a specific muse, and how do they feel about the whole bichok (butt in chair, hands on keyboard) theory in the event their specific muse is on vacation without them?

As for me, my "muse" is simple, so my blog entry will be short. To write, to really write, I need a functional computer with a Word processing program, the absense of my children in such a way that they are still safe and cared for, and no other pressing obligations like overflowing toilets or completely empty pantry shelves. I can ignore the toilets and pantry sometimes, and my poor husband--I certainly can ignore him--but not the kids. That way lies ruination, experiments in cleaning products, illicit toddler haircuts, escaped felines, destructive rampages, broken lamps and maybe even broken bones.

Unfortunately, my life rarely if ever supplies what I need for a good, hearty writing session. So I, like most writers, have to work around my challenges in order to make the magic happen. I am not as skilled at this as I would like to be and thus my production ebbs more than it flows. I plan for this to change once both kids are in school, but that's several years off, and somehow, in between now and then, I have to keep myself afloat!

What do you need in order to have a good, hearty writing session? And what do you do when you can't get it? Is your head above water or do you feel like you're going down for the third time?

Jody W.
http://www.jodywallace.com
SURVIVAL OF THE FAIREST--Available now, Samhain Publishing

2 comments:

  1. Oy, girlfriend! I feel you're pain. I had a few years where my kids were in school and I only worked part-time. And what did I do?

    I frittered it away!!! Typing a paragraph here or there and not be anywhere near as disciplined as I might have been were I disciplined to begin with.

    Now with one kid heading to college in another year I have bills the size of Montana staring at me and a full time job that I despise.

    But I keep plugging away at my writing. Because no matter what else is going on in my life...I deserve to write. I deserve to go to RWA meetings and be acknowledged for me...not the wife, the daughter, the mother of (fill in the blank).

    Is it as fast I as would like?

    Nope.

    But one the other hand, have I been arrested for doing something worthy of my villain?

    Nope.

    Life is good.

    ;)

    Talia

    ReplyDelete

 
ja