Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Thirteen Favorite Fictional Heroines

Last week we discussed our favorite heroes. Surely, I thought, women deserve equal time. So this week I’m listing my favorite heroines (in no particular order).
Drum roll, please. …



Thirteen Favorite Fictional Heroines




1.) Betsy Taylor. She’s a former model, now an unemployed secretary, who at 30 finds herself unmarried, “undead” and possibly Queen of the Vampires. She’s funny, has great shoes and a series of books feature her.
2.) Aza from “Fairest,” who proves you don’t have to be beautiful or tiny to get the guy and win the kingdom.
3.) Aerin from “The Hero and the Crown”. She seems real and vulnerable. Although she’s clearly gifted, she succeeds by working hard.
4.) Sybel, from, “The Forgotten Beasts of Eld.” She’s beautiful, complex and magical. Although she lives for revenge, she learns to love.
5.) Snake from “Dream Snake”. I loved the whole snake-handler, healer thing.
6.) Lara Croft of Tomb Raider fame because she can do all those things I wish I could.




7) Dorothy from “The Wizard of Oz”. As a regular girl, she lives her fantasy and has the happy ending I never get tired of reading.
8.) Cordelia, created by Lois McMaster Bujold. Cordelia’s an intelligent, determined woman who is the best problem-solver in the series. She’s the kind of leader those under her can’t help but respect.
9.) Estraven from “The Left Hand of Darkness.” While not actually a woman, he’s an example of true friendship.
10.) Princess Susannah from “A Spell for Susannah.” She’s plucky and smart.
11.) Stephanie Plum from Janet Evanovich’s series. Stephanie can eat whatever she wants and she still has two hunky guys chasing after her.
12.) Aislinn from “The Wolf and the Dove.” She and Wulfgar make me love romance.
13.) Nuella from “Dragon’s Kin.” She and her watch-wher, a smaller version of a dragon, do something amazing to conquer the darkness and make the mines of Pern safer.

These are my favorites, but I know there’s a lot more heroines out there. Please share a favorite with me. I’m looking for new reading material. Thanks.


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone
who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow
Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your
Thirteen in others comments. It's easy and fun! Trackbacks, pings,
comment links accepted!




21 comments:

  1. Favorite heroines... Rachel Morgan (Kim Harrison's series). JoAnn what's her name from Rachel Caine's Weather Warden series. And all the women Jennifer Estep writes about.

    Oh! And Bobbie Faye. OMG, I just finished the first Bobbie Faye book last night and I'm still howling. What a fun read! The author is Toni McGee Causey and I totally dig her. I can't wait to get the second book in this new series.

    Aren't you sorry you asked? *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I love finding good heroines to read about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list...we still love Dorothy!! Happy TT and thanks for stopping by:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting list ... I've only encountered a few of these heroines however.
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great and creative idea fictional characters! Enjoyed reading! Angie

    www.frugalwahmstalkradio.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've got to second Susan's recommendations of Rachel Morgan and JoAnn Baldwin.

    And I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Eve Dallas from J.D. Robb's In Death series--talk about kick-ass.

    Aisling Grey from Katie MacAlister's dragon series is fun, too, on the order of Davidson's Betsy.

    Then there are Amelia Peabody, Vicki Bliss, and Jacqueline Kirby from Elizabeth Peters' various series.

    Cimorene from Patricia C. Wrede's Enchanted Forest chronicles.

    Helen Hawthorne from Elaine Viets' Dead-End Jobs series.

    Temple Barr from Carole Nelson Douglas' Midnight Louie series.

    Irene Adler from Carole Nelson Douglas' Irene Adler series.

    Mary Russell from the Laurie R. King series.

    I'm sure I could come up with more, especially if I started going with single titles instead of just series, but I think I'll stop before your eyes glaze over. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with you on Dorothy! Another: Isak Dinesen's character in the story Out of Africa. Can't think of the name.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun way to introduce folks to some books they may not have otherwise read. Good T-13!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I forgot about Cimorene. She's another of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have way too many to list.

    So I'll say Anne of Green Gables for sure.

    I heart her.

    But my list is huge and my time is limited today. LOL!!

    Thanks for dropping by my TT today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Stephanie Plum. Thanks for including my personal herione in your list of heroines - not that you knew.
    Other female "Heros" I admire:
    Temperance "Bones" from the TV series "Bones"
    Dr Kay Scarpetta from the books by Patricia Cornwell.

    ReplyDelete
  12. From your list I've only read Left Hand of Darkness.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, sticking to romance, I'd have to say I LOVE Minerva from Jennifer Crusie's "Bet Me".
    Non Romance? Harriet Vane from "Gaudy Night" by Dorothy L. Sayers.
    Great list.

    ReplyDelete
  14. right now, Lucy Bragg is my favorite because I really hated her at the beginning of the story. Really, truly, squirm-in-my-seat embarrassed for her, didn't like her kind of heroine that, by the end of the story I LOVE. So strong. *sigh* sorry about the run-on. lol

    that's just right now, though. I have lists and lists. :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been meaning to read Undead and Unwed for ages.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love #6 & #7, but seriously need to get caught up on all the others!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think we must not share the same literary intersts because I don't know most of these...except for Dorothy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's just so very fun! Good for you for having heroines - very very cool!

    Happy TT

    ReplyDelete
  19. I feel like a bad reader for not knowing most of these heroines... sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Stephanie Plum always cracks me up. I like Sookie Stackhouse, too. Good list!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I don't know Lucy Bragg, Sookie Stackhouse, or Helen Hawthorne. Looks like I've some reading to do. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

 
ja