Monday, June 9, 2008

Let's Hear It For The Girls!

Last cycle we talked about our favorite heroes, starting today we're giving the ladies their due. Go, Ladies!!!

True confession time here. Personally, I find it far more difficult to write my heroines than my heroes. For me heroes are a no-brainer. I know what characteristics I like in a man and I know what I don't like but can redeem in a man. Writing heroes, isn't only easier...it's fun.

Heroines, however, require more in skill. As an authors I must identify with my heroines but but keep her believably human becasue perfect people make for dull reading. I have a harder time being mean to my ladies. Living in their skin can be uncomfortable because often their struggles mirror my own and who wants to revisit the bumps and bruises of life even on paper?

Another difficulty with writing heroines is my status as mom. I have daughters and I am very aware of the responisbility that comes with creating a heroine that women (especially young women) identify with. I know firsthand that a great heroine can inspire a change--even if that change is fostering a love for the written word.

A good hero may be hard to forget, but a good heroine like a good friend can help you through the difficult times, inspire you to better things, and remind you of your real priorities.
So here's to the heroines who overcome and find their happily ever after and to the wonderful authors who write them!

Brava!

Talia

2 comments:

  1. Since most readers of the romance genre are women, it's particularly important, IMO, to have a heroine that can be relatable. A reader will pick up on a too perfect or unbelievable heroine in a New York minute. There can be a certain amount of susupension of belief, but under the skin, she'd better be, as you said, like a good friend.

    The hero, well, he needs to be believable too, but even if he's a little too perfect doesn't that buy into the whole fantasy of the read? : )

    Heroines are the women we want to be. At least sometimes ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great launch, Talia :)
    I have a critique partner who said something very profound. She said readers seem to be less forgiving of a heroines flaws than the hero.

    But the heroine has to have flaws, otherwise she's boring and has no room for growth.

    Go figure :)

    ~Maggie

    ReplyDelete

 
ja