Saturday, May 17, 2008

A Reason to Get Up in the Morning

A good many years ago, I went to a pot luck dinner. All the food was great, but there was a wonderful breakfast casserole on the menu that stuck with me. The excellent cook shared her recipe with me, and today I'll share it with you.





Sausage-Egg Casserole


Cube bread to cover the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan.
Ingredients:
1 lb sausage
(or 1/2 lb ground beef and 1/2 lb sausage)
2 c. grated cheese (I like sharp cheddar)
4 eggs
2 c. milk
3/4 t. dry mustard
1/4 t. salt
1 can crean of mushroom or cream of celery soup
1/2 c. milk
Fry up the sausage or sausage/beef mix and drain
Then beat together: eggs, 2 c. milk, dry mustard and salt.
On top of the cubed bread, spread the drained meat and then add the egg mixture.
Mix together the can of soup and 1/2 c. milk and pour over the combined goodies beneath. Top with cheese. Refrigerate over night.
In the morning, wander bleary eyed into the kitchen and pre-heat the oven to 350F. Stumble back to bed for 1 and 1/2 hours (don't forget to set your alarm and be sure you put the casserole into the oven before going back to bed). When you get up, you will have a complete breakfast with only one dish to wash. (I'm not counting the dishes from last night). This is a great Sunday brunch meal.

3 comments:

  1. I bet this is really good. Thanks. I'll try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo, I've had this before. It's yummy. Especially when someone else gets up early in the morning to make it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love breakfast casseroles! I'll tell hubby to try this one this year (he makes one every year for a work party he attends).

    ReplyDelete

 
ja