Monday, May 19, 2008

Blending (Food) Genres: Italian on the Barbie, with a Dash of Southern Flavor

I can remember when my daughter’s kindergarten class came up with a project to create a book of their favorite recipes. Rachel decided her contribution to this culinary work was going to be Betty Crocker Instant Mashed Potatoes. Yep, I had to send in a recipe that required heating water, butter and milk in a pan and then dumping in dehydrated spud flakes. We jazzed it up a bit by explaining how to make a butter volcano out of it, but I’m sure all the teachers and moms were shaking their heads, wondering what I fed my family if instant mashed potatoes was Rachel’s favorite dish. Aren’t ya’ll glad I’m a waitress here at the dinner and not the cook? But I’m not totally inept in the kitchen and once the weather warms, my family does most of our cooking on the grill. Last night was make-your-own-pizza night at our house. Here’s mine:

Grilled BBQ Chicken Pizza

12” pre-cooked pizza crust (Boboli or Mama Mary’s)
Sweet Baby Ray’s Honey Chipotle BBQ Sauce
4-6 oz. cooked chicken breast, diced small
Chopped red onion
Mozzarella cheese

Spread BBQ sauce on pizza crust. Toss diced chicken in a little extra sauce and spread evenly on pizza. Add red onion, and mozzarella cheese. Place on grill over low-medium heat. Grill until crust is crispy and the cheese is melted. As long as your husband (the Grill Master at our house) doesn’t get distracted and burn the crust (it happens), it’s delicious!

3 comments:

  1. This is gonna sound dumb, but do you put it on a pizza pan or put the crust straight on the grill?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We put it directly on the grill. You just gotta watch it so the bottom doesn't burn. Since everything is pre-cooked, you're pretty much just heating it up and melting the cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MMm. I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete

 
ja