Sunday, March 2, 2008

In like a Lion....

My March is coming in like a lion where I am, and it looks like it's going to be a long month. The Ides of March is most commonly known as the day Julius Caeser was killed by somone he considered a friend. The ultimate betrayal gave way to inspiration for thousands of books and movies, even a popular song by Guns N' Roses. History is rife with ideas and inspiration not just for historical fiction, although Titanic, the assassination of JFK and Jesse James, and any story from the Bible (Raiders of the Lost Ark) have sold well, but also for contemporary and futuristic stories retelling many of the plots from the works of Shakespeare (especially Romeo and Juliet) and other historical events or ideas (National Treasure 1 and 2).

And where does the paranormal fit into this equation? Many of the stories created from these plots and historical events do and can incorporate paranormal elements. In Raiders of the Lost Ark, the paranormal element was the power of the Ark once opened. We have no way of knowing what that power is, but the writer imagined it as a mythical and deadly force. In many of Shakespeare's works, faeries and witches and other paranormal devices made his plays and stories compelling to the people of his time, but to us as well.

As writers of paranormal fiction, we have a wealth of ideas and inspiration to build on, but also have the power to create our own worlds with our own rules of magic or legends or mythology. When the outside world isn't ideal, readers want to escape into the worlds we writers create - it's an awesome power, which comes with awesome responsibility. I, for one, am proud to be a writer and, despite rejections and other blocks I face from time to time, I'm happy to be able to put my words out there for people to read and be touched by them.

Happy writing!
Jeannie

1 comment:

  1. If I didn't have my paranormal world at The Bar Story to read and write, I think my world would be very bleak. I know our readers certainly appreciate the escape our serial story provides.

    ReplyDelete

 
ja