Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Enjoy Those Spring Breezes


We're supposed to be blogging about spring, rejuvenation, rebirth etc...

Well, I don't wanna.

How am I supposed to write about fertilizing my inner creator when spring marks for me a time of great sadness and the fact that summer is just around the corner? (for those who don't know me, I dislike summer intensely:) I get depressed and cranky, plus the fact I can't get rid of this darn cold doesn't help!

Well, never fear. I've never been one to bring people down and I'm not gonna start now.

There are many things about spring I do like. Flowers, blooming trees, birds in the bushes outside my office window. But my favorite part of spring; that small gap between the last frost and the humid days of a NY summer when I can open my windows and let the breeze run through.


There is nothing more calming then having a cool breeze touch your face while listening to the quiet afternoon, save for the chirp of birds and the distant sound of a lawn mower. I love to breathe in the smell of fresh cut grass and budding flowers. During this painful time of the year, I look for that comfort, I get lost in it and that makes it very hard for me to write.

But, I have to write. I have critiques to give and receive, revisions to make, submissions to send out. Time doesn't stop while I sit and pout, and I can't just let it pass me by. I may be able to do all these things, but any new projects just won't happen.

Time heals all wounds and I can only hope this year will be better. Maybe one day I'll be able to turn that inner sadness into a muse who will snap me out of the doldrums and get those creative juices flowing.

Until then, I'll enjoy those spring breezes :)

~Maggie

6 comments:

  1. Maggie, Fall is coming. Honest.

    :)

    Talia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a fall and spring person. Winter and Summer leave me alternately Cold and Hot. We still are in the winter doldrums here in Chicago -- and it seems like spring will never get here. Supposed to get snow tomorrow, which I am completely tired of at this moment! Spring is just such a welcome relief from snow pants, hats, gloves, heavy coats and the 20 minute prep time for even going out of the house!
    I'll try to send some of the colder stuff your way!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Send the cold stuff in the summer! I will love you forever for it :)

    ~Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're still stuck in winter here, and I'm sick of the snow (or at least shoveling it). But as my DH reminds me, we ARE in Alaska : ) Yeah, yeah, yeah. Whatever. I want to see some green that isn't high up on a spruce tree.

    Our 60-65 degree summers are the best, however, as long as you don't mind them being a little soggy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here here!
    Spring to me is tornados, flooding and mudslides!
    China

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I surely don't enjoy the spring rash of tornadoes and flaky weather. I do sorta like the flowers, though!

    Jody W.

    ReplyDelete

 
ja