Saturday, February 2, 2008

Who Wants To Date A Superhero?

Some of our Diner guests may recall that back in 2007, we did a biweek on superheroes, comic books and other influences on the paranormal romances we write. We had guest authors who were writing in the field of superhero romances, and since then I've located another adventuresome author of the hotties-in-tights ilk, RG Alexander, who kindly answered the following interview questions for us in exchange for a free blue plate special.

1) First, can you tell us what you've got coming out in the subgenre of paranormal romance? Is it humorous? If so, what kind of humor?

Who Wants to Date a Superhero? coming out February 15th from Ellora's Cave for their Jewels of the Nile series, is definitely humorous...well, I laughed a lot while I was writing it. :) I got to poke a little harmless fun at reality television and superheroes/villains who take themselves a bit too seriously.

2) What draws you to write in this particular subgenre?

I have always been fascinated by folklore, mythology and urban legends. Superhero was actually a bit of a diversion for me-a different kind of hero tale. I got to play a lot more in that universe, really use my imagination.

3) Any other publications you'd like to mention?

I have a crazy year ahead. From EC I have Lifting the Veil coming out in April, and Piercing the Veil (though that doesnt have an actual release date yet). I'm also planning to have a few more Superhero books out this year *cross your fingers*.

Samhain Publishing will be releasing Regina in the Sun (also April) and Lux in Shadow (August), two books from my Children of the Goddess series. I'm really looking forward to that.

4) What are some of your favorite books in this subgenre that you didn't write yourself?

My favorite paranormal?! That is so hard. I love so many. There are tons of amazing authors, in print and ebook right now. Gena Showalter's Atlantis books, Crystal Jordan's Wereplanets-which are coming out from Kensington this year in Sexy Beast V and Carnal Desires. Lora Leigh, Emma Holly, Kenyon...see? Told ya.

5) How much influence do you think other media and pop culture, such as movies, tv and comics, have on genre fiction or vice versa? How do you perceive the relationships amidst our various forms of pop culture?

Oh I think media influences our culture and fiction probably more than any other time in history. We are a generation grown up on cable and home videos/dvds, the internet and music videos etc. We are saturated with pop culture references. I am not saying thats a bad thing-haha. Unless the author lives in a bubble, its going to have an affect on their fiction. They have taken the place of the fireside stories, strongly reinforcing our beliefs and knowledge about the paranormal. From Buffy to Underworld.

6) Your book is inspired by the comics. Can you recommend any comic books to readers who love paranormal romances? How does romance fare in the comics world? Are comics as empowering for women as many feel paranormal romance can be?

Well, interestingly-my book was inspired by a Sci Fi Channel show that my husband was watching...a reality show where people pretended to be superheroes in the hopes that Stan Lee would immortalize them in comic infamy. It struck me as fascinating and funny-and made me think.

I think the two-romance and comic, are coming closer and closer together. I know for a fact that Christine Feehan's and Sherrilyn Kenyon's series' are both being transformed and re-releasing as comics.

I don't know if mainstream comics are as empowering to women as paranormal romance yet-though strides have been made-each have been and are still to a large extent gender typecast.
Recently inroads have been made for male-centric romance and female-centric comics. Who knows what tomorrow will bring?

7) So, if the moneybags were going to make a movie of your book but give you creative control of a sorts....who might you cast and what tweaks might you have to make so it could be Hollywood Blockbusterized? (Or not!)

Hmmm. Who would play Theta Wave? That is a hard one. I want to say Hugh Jackman...I want to, please. But I dont know if he would be the right choice. Maybe Scott Elrod (Cash from Men in Trees). I would probably leave it to the producer and casting director and ogle whatever eye candy they felt was best.

And for Hollywood? Well I'd have to get rid of a few of the more erotically graphic scenes obviously.

8) Where can we find out more about you and your books? Any links you want to share?

All my release dates and blurbs are on my site at http://www.rgalexander.com/

9) Is there anything else you want to tell us about your release?

Only that I hope everyone enjoys reading it as much as I enjoyed its creation. BTW here is a little blurb.


Gaia City.


A place where technology is advanced, superheroes commonplace, and the masses are addicted to Who Wants to Date a Superhero? A show that lets women compete for the chance to win a date with one of Gaia’s Guardians.


Cassie Tidwell never thought she’d be humiliating herself on live vid for dinner with a man in spandex. But the secret she’s keeping will have her jumping through hoops for a chance to have this season’s hunky bachelor, Theta Wave, all to herself.


Will her choice ensure that Graham, the man she’s lusted after for months, never wants to see her again?


When her friend gives her an amethyst anklet engraved with strange symbols, telling her it has the ability to shield her thoughts from the probing powers of Theta Wave, she’s dubious. But she needs all the luck she can get if she’s to fight for one man’s help…and another’s heart.


****


Thank you so much for having me here! Fascinating questions.


****

Jody W.
A SPELL FOR SUSANNAH--Available now from Samhain Publishing
http://www.jodywallace.com/ * http://meankittybox.blogspot.com/

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jody and hello R.G. What a great interview, ladies!!! I loved the questions and the answers, you made me chuckle. I can't wait to read your book, R.G. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya ladies! Thanks for stopping by R.G. your books sound like great reads! And well...Hugh Jackman? YUM!

    ;)

    talia

    ReplyDelete
  3. -Red! Thanks for stopping by-I know-great questions weren't they? I actually had to fire up the old brain cells.

    -talia-thanks for the welcome! Yes-I've definitely got a long term crush commitment to Hugh going on-just dont tell my husband.;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the interview RG, and a great job by Jody! Nice to see another diva friend at the diner!
    debralee alias debisong

    ReplyDelete

 
ja