Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Path of Resistance

So, you think being a romance writer is, well, romantic? Being any type of novelist is akin to living the life of luxury, endless hours spent sipping tea at the local café or days spent cruising the Riviera?

My family and friends believe this myth.

I, on the other hand, have discovered the untold truth of being a novelist – or at least the truth according to me.

If you have even the slightest tendency to become agoraphobic, this professional will quickly push you over the edge.

If you hate exercise and are looking for ways to avoid it at all cost, this is the profession for you.

Think you’ve got what it takes to win at spider solitaire in 2 minutes flat? Become a novelist and try your hand.

Since I was never a big fan of running errands or exercising and my middle name is procrastination – I’ve finally stumbled into a career that can satisfy every urge I’ve got!

Being a control freak, I finally command people and they obey (okay, so those people might only be alive in my imagination, but still it’s a heady feeling!)

Writing anything is a lonely endeavor. Sending out queries, partials and fulls, is a one-person job and a job that finds the writer glued to their computer screen most days before dawn – and still there long after everyone else has gone to bed.

But to see my name in print? On the cover a book? It’s worth it to me. While the family might think it’s a bit bizarre that I prefer to have my groceries delivered and don’t agree that my daily stroll to the mailbox is more than enough exercise – I finally found a place where my pink fuzzy slippers are acceptable footwear at work and I’m allowed to eat brownies all day.

Have a myth you’ve busted lately?

7 comments:

  1. I'd like to try sipping tea while cruising the Rivera, but, like you, I'm pretty happy writing in my fuzzy slippers. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't own fuzzy slippers. Maybe that's the problem... Hmm....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang, I think I need some fuzzy slippers too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to have fuzzy slippers, but I can't write unless I'm barefoot so they had to go...

    ReplyDelete
  5. My 1 yr old gets very upset if I take my slippers off! I've trained her well.

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do green Gumbie slippers count? I was wearing them when my husband proposed to me. How's that for romantic? And yes, after 14+ years of marriage, I still have them and occasionally wear them. For sentimental reasons, of course -- not because I'm a hopeless packrat who can't throw anything away. *G*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, the folks in my head are so supposed to listen to me, but they still seem to like getting their own way sometimes. Does that make them shady characters?

    debralee

    ReplyDelete

 
ja