Friday, February 1, 2008

Mixing It Up

In my last post, I wrote about loving both science and fantasy. Now those things have been mixed for years in science fiction (and there is a difference between SF and fantasy, but that’s a different topic), but it wasn’t until the last few years that fantasy has found its way into romance. Back in the early 1990’s, Silhouette published their Shadows line. These romantic paranormal novels had a loyal following (and these books continue to be sought after), but they never drew the amount of sales Silhouette needed to continue. Paranormal romance would have to wait another decade to finally hit its stride.

In 1997, Catherine Asaro stood before a room full of romance authors and proudly stated, “I write science fiction romance”. She sold her books as science fiction, and said that she had to be careful how she wrote the love scenes so that she wouldn’t lose her primarily male audience. That day changed my life. I began to look at romance as a genre that could be more than the contemporaries I was reading. She inspired me to write what I loved, no matter that some people would look down at my choices.

I began to play with different elements. My first published piece involved rejection slips that came to life (who says fiction isn’t autobiographical). After that I wrote about magic and vampires, but it wasn’t until I wrote Keepers of Legend, a little tale of a baby dragon and the biologist heroine who discovers him that I pulled science into my work.

My novel Shadows of Evil is more traditionally paranormal in structure, with updated gothic elements (big, isolated house; woman alone; hero hiding secrets; strange man next door”). Then again, one of Kia’s friends is a biology major. And an anthropologist has a minor role (at least in this novel). I can’t help myself, okay.

There will be more mythical creatures coming from my computer, and more science. Because I love pushing things just a little.

Back to my lab-top...ha-ha!

3 comments:

  1. I'm with you. I think the most interesting novels "Mix It Up"! I look forward to reading yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Science fantasy rocks! Lots of great authors write it -- I'd say both Sharon Shinn and Anne McCaffrey, maybe Sheri S. Tepper, would fall in that category.

    Jody W.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Out of the box and into the fire, romance as an element of sci-fi, paranormal or fantasy is still awesome!
    Debralee

    ReplyDelete

 
ja