Sunday, February 10, 2008

Demons and Witches and Faeries, Oh, My...

Someone asked me the other day where I thought the writing trends were heading. She'd heard vampires were still hot - they are - but wondered what else was coming. I often get asked this question because I see more prepubbed writing than I'd care to submit (yes, I edit), and I'm learning to find the trends in what I'm seeing. So here goes ...

The supernatural is still hot. You only have to look as far as television (Supernatural, Ghost Hunters, Paranormal State, etc) and movies (The Eye, 1408, the Golden Compass) to see paranormal is in. I think it's because people need to believe in magic. Magic has sustained man - and woman - throughout the centuries and given them hope of something beyond themselves.

What does that mean to us, the writers and lovers of all things paranormal?

It means you'd better be sitting at your computer writing your little fingers off. There is very much still a market for these books - and they need new blood, new ideas and new talent. There are so many opportunities out there to get yourselves and your work noticed. This diner was one such idea. There is Myspace and Facebook and Live Journal and so many more, but sometimes you find yourselves doing this instead of actually writing.

I'm giving a writing class this month on Fixing Your Fiction, and I'm seeing some real talent among the students of my class. I'm teaching them to focus on hooking their reader with a good hook AND a good story. And that's what we need to focus on, is telling those stories we have locked in our heads.

Next month, as I've mentioned in an earlier blog, I'm going to have an opportunity to spend time with several agents and editors who are looking for the supernatural. I hope to bring back news and information to share with all of you to motivate you to get that writing done! Let me know if you have specific questions you'd like me to ask. My email is mdntvoices@yahoo.com.

Jeannie

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Jeanne! It's always good to know our chosen market is still healthy!

    Jody W.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto to Jody's comments. I'm glad to know someone, hopefully a lot of some bodies, will want what we write. :)

    ReplyDelete

 
ja